Sunday 8 January 2023

January 8, 1993: I sold my bone handled skewer for $10


Thirty years ago today

            On Friday I brought a bunch of silver and other stuff with me to work at Northern Secondary School so I could try to sell it afterward downtown. I hoped that I wouldn't have to pawn my camera but I was thinking that I probably would. 
            I wrote this while on my lunch break. 
            After work I walked to Yonge Street and checked to find that I had $41 in my account, so I ate it up. I went down to the pawn shops on Church Street and tried to sell some silverware. After going to a couple of other places, McTamney's bought my bone handled skewer for $10. I tried to sell my Nikon but since I couldn't get even $100 for it I didn't bother. 
            I wrote this on my way home on the Queen Streetcar. 
            I was thinking that I might have to settle for having my phone cut off unless I sold flowers. I didn't know. I was feeling apathetic about it. I knew I'd be able to pay it off soon. I needed to a phone to make money but I also wanted to be able to afford to travel to pick up my daughter and to buy food to take care of her. I had that night to think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment