Monday 6 March 2023

Bernadette Withers


            On Sunday morning I blog-published "Apocalyptic Seizure of Love", which is my translation of "Love On the Beat" by Serge Gainsbourg. I listened a couple of times to his song "Sorry Angel" and tomorrow I'll start memorizing it. 
            I weighed 85 kilos before breakfast, which is the heaviest I've been in the morning in about two weeks. 
            I read most of the rest of Peter Pan but dozed off with six pages left. 
            I weighed 85.2 kilos before lunch. That's the most I've weighed at that time in two weeks. I had a toasted slice of Bavarian sandwich bread with peanut butter and a glass of soymilk. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Bloor and Bathurst. It was quite warm out and the snowbanks from Friday night's storm are melting. It's as if winter is trying to apologize for it's violent drunkenness on Friday night by applying itself to get ready for spring. 
            Now that I'm almost finished with Peter Pan it occurred to me that I didn't see the N-word in the text this time when I was sure that it had been there when I read it seven years ago. When I looked it up though there is no reference to the N-word ever having been in the book. 
            I weighed 84.7 kilos at 18:00.
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:52. 
            I finished reading "Peter Pan" and started reading "Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens". This story seems to have been written before the more famous one and Peter is very different. He is part bird because all children start out as birds. Neverland is in Kensington gardens and all the fairies live there but only come out after closing time.
            I made a chili from chick peas, salsa and marinara sauce. I had it with toasted Bavarian sandwich bread and a glass of soymilk while watching season 5, episode 19 of The Beverly Hillbillies.
            Granny is lamenting the fact that one can't buy possum in any market in Beverly Hills. They are always eating possum and so one wonders where they get it. Both Jed and Granny agree that having $68 million is a curse. Just then the college student Ginny Jennings shows up again at their door. I think that previously she'd been a Sociology major but now she's in Philosophy. She and her roommates Lucy and Fran have formed a charity called N.E.E.D.Y the National Establishment for Educating Deserving Youth to keep the three of them from starving. When she asks for a donation Jed writes her a cheque for $68 million. She doesn't realize that is all of his money. When Jed tells Drysdale he starts feeling suicidal but eventually adjusts and decides to start treating Ginny and her friends like he treated the Clampetts by giving them their mansion and several expensive gifts like fur coats, gowns and a new convertible. The Clampetts head for back home but run out of gas before they are out of LA and just have enough to pull into a park. Jed is about to start clearing trees to start sharecropping when he is stopped by park Ranger Warkle and they are kicked out. Jethro walks back to the mansion to ask Ginny if he can join NEEDY. She's surprised to learn Jed gave her all of his money and when she sees Jed she gives the cheque back. The Clampetts decide the money is a curse they have to live with. 
            Lucy was played by Bernadette Withers, who started acting in films at the age of nine. She played Ginger Farrell on the TV series "Bachelor Father", Janis on "Karen", and Valerie in the movie The Trouble With Angels. She became a partner in a software company. 



            For the second night in a row I found no bedbugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment