Monday 6 March 2023

March 6, 1993: My daughter carried several of her grandfather's garden tools out of the garage and tried to shovel snow with them


Thirty years ago today 

            On Saturday I got to Nancy's place at around 11:00 but she was still in bed. While I was waiting I finished making notes on Jack Kerouac's On the Road, and then gradually got my daughter ready. We left the house but when we went into the garage to get her toy shovel she wanted to play with all of her grandfather's long-handled tools. She started taking them out and dropping them, then kept going back for more until there was a pile of six or seven of them in the driveway. Then she tried using each one of them to shovel. After a while she got hungry and so I took her back in the house for her mother to feed her. Then I gave her a sandwich and while she was eating she let me take her away. We went to Miracle Mart where I bought some date-nut squares she liked. When we got home she ran straight to the paints. I danced with her in my arms and she went to sleep at around 19:30. I stayed up until midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment