Tuesday 21 March 2023

Laurel Goodwin


            On Monday morning I uploaded "Fugue" by Boris Vian to Christian's Translations and started editing to prepare it for publication on the blog. 
            I finished memorizing "Kiss me Hardy" by Serge Gainsbourg. I did a quick web search for the chords but "chords" in English didn't turn up anything. I'll try "accords", "tabs", "partitions", and "sheet music" tomorrow. 
            I weighed 84 kilos before breakfast.
            I don't like to shave and take a shower on the same day that I do my laundry because it takes up too much time but all three had to be done today because of school tomorrow. I got my things packed in two recyclable bags and headed out. Lots of teenagers were on the street because it was the school lunch hour. When I got to the Himalayan Laundry I realized I'd forgotten the bags and so I had to go home and come back. The new owners of the laundrymat are much friendlier than the previous proprietors. The other guy if he was eating buried his consciousness in his lunch but this attendant made a point of looking up at me from her food and giving me a friendly, "Hi!" 
            After I'd put my stuff in the wash I came home and the landlord was outside with some workmen removing the window that was smashed las week and it looks like they are just going to replace it with a piece of plywood. It doesn't really matter because the window just gave a view of an empty storefront that's being used as a storage area and full of a lot of unsightly junk. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Bloor and Bathurst. On the way back along Queen my next building neighbour Taro came up behind me on his bike. He was on his way home from his courier job. We chatted briefly while riding and then he went on ahead. We talked again as we were unlocking our doors. He wanted to know if I'd tried the Tibetan restaurant that's between our two front doors. I said I'd tried the mo-mo platter but found it doughy. I said I might try the pan fried mo-mo if I go in again. He said the pan fried mo-mo is better. 
            I weighed 83.7 kilos at 17:00. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:08. 
            I worked on my essay for almost two hours. Here's a little bit of what I got: 

            The analogy between the limitations of women's education and those of the monster connects the two on the spectrum of aesthetic judgement. To be judged and outcast for ugliness as the monster is, and judged for beauty as women are, puts them in the same purview of objectification, albeit at different extremes. The monster exists at the ugly end of the scale and beyond what Victor's society allows. Women, in order to remain relevant to society, are expected to settle for being anchored to the parts of the aesthetic range that coincide with what is considered some degree of beautiful. 

            For dinner I had the usual avocadoes, tomatoes, cucumber, scallion and lime juice with a glass of Garden Cocktail. This was the last meal of the eleventh day of my fast and I have three days left. I ate while watching season 6, episode 4 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            The Clampetts are still at Clampett Castle in Kent, England. Jethro continues wearing armour and charging through the countryside on horseback looking for dragons.
            Drysdale informs Jed that his late cousin Marcus was $10 million in debt and that Jed has inherited that debt. He urges Jed to leave England immediately. Jethro rides up and says he declared war on the next castle because they sicked their dog on him for riding through their roses. He says they are going to feud because of the feudal system. Granny is now excited because she loves feuding. Jed decides they're going back to the States. He shocks Faversham by handing him a cheque for $10 million to pay for the debts of the castle. Jethro comes out dressed as Robin Hood because just as Robin was robbed of his castle, he's being robbed of his and so he is taking to the woods to become an outlaw. Jed makes him go with them. When they get back to Beverly Hills Jethro becomes Robin Hood and gets Elly to join him with the promise of one of his merry men. Jethro shoots an arrow with a note at the kitchen door saying they've gone to woods. Jethro, Elly, Bessy the chimp and Duke the bloodhound go to Griffith Park after robbing the entire contents of Granny's fridge. 
            Meanwhile a hippy named Buddy and his girlfriend Stella ride a motorcycle into Griffith Park. They sit under a tree to discuss her parents' problems with her being with him when they are ambushed by Jethro and Elly. Jed, Granny and Jane go to look for Jethro and Elly in Jane's car. Buddy and Stella are tied up but Jethro offers to untie them if they join his band and rob from the rich to give to the poor. They are all for it. Jethro tells them about Granny smoking crawdads and they think it's a nickname for pot. Apparently Buddy and Stella don't smoke cannabis but they figure Jethro's high on something. Elly is on lookout in a tree and sees Jane's car approaching. Jethro tells Buddy to go and intercept them so they don't know where they are. Jethro takes Stella with him to camouflage the truck, and since she's very attracted to Jethro she is happy to hide with him. Buddy flags down Jane's car and talks to them about smoking crawdads. After doing so he's pretty sure all of them except for Jane are high on the stuff. He hitches a ride to the Sunset Strip so he can tell his friends about it. 
            Stella was played by Laurel Goodwin, who started out as a child model. Her first movie was in "Girls! Girls! Girls!" in which she played one of Elvis's love interests. She played Yeoman J. M. Colt in the Star Trek pilot "The Cage". She played Jackie Gleason's daughter in Papa's Delicate Condition. She played the Chief's niece Phoebe on Get Smart. After retiring from acting she spent 35 years as a home nurse but continued to appear at Elvis and Star Trek reunions. She died in 2022 and was the last surviving credited actor in "The Cage". 




            


            


           


            


           
            I've made it to seventeen days without seeing a bedbug.






No comments:

Post a Comment