Thursday 9 March 2023

Robert Strauss


            On Wednesday morning I only had seven lines left for working out the chords of "Fugue" by Boris Vian. Some of those lines are not in the recording and so I'll have to anticipate what the chords for those might be. 
            I memorized the third verse of "Sorry Angel" by Serge Gainsbourg. I almost nailed down the last verse and so the whole song should be in my head tomorrow. 
            I weighed 84.1 kilos before breakfast, which is the lightest I've been in the morning in eleven days. 
            I finished reading Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens. Unlike the more famous Peter and Wendy story in which Peter wears clothes made from skeleton leaves, in this story Peter is always naked. The character of Maimie seems to be a precursor to Wendy but she's actually more interesting. Wendy is a little too domestic and attempting to behave like a little mother. Maimie has some character and she's sometimes mischievous. 
            I started reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I'm up to page 18 and so far it's mostly the narrator's memories of high school. But she presently works in hospitals with "donors" so I assume this is a science fiction scenario. 
            I weighed 83.7 kilos before lunch. I had a slice of toasted Bavarian sandwich bread with the last of my limeade. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Bloor and Bathurst. The Bloor bike lane is mostly clear enough to get through easily but it's still blocked with ice and snow in some places. 
            I weighed 84.5 kilos at 16:45. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 17:48. 
            I read up to page 70 in Never Let Me Go. It definitely seems to be a science fiction scenario. Everything has happened so far at a residential school in England where the children are going to become "donors" though they haven't really been told what that means. I assume it has to do with body parts. 
            Someone smashed a window downstairs at Popeyes. 
            I had the rest of the chick peas, salsa and marinara sauce with my last slice of Bavarian sandwich bread and a glass of soymilk. I ate while watching season 5, episode 22 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            Granny reads in the paper that someone in Beverly Hills got married shortly after her coming out party. She observes that the person isn't very attractive and so the best way to find Elly a husband is to throw a coming out party for her. They don't know exactly what a coming out party is. Jethro calls up the columnist Society Sandy to announce it. Sandy does some research and discovers that Jed Clampett is worth $68 million and so he advertizes the party as being the event of the year. But the Clampetts are preparing for the party like it's a hillbilly hoedown and so Milburn Drysdale and Jane Hathaway are worried that this will make them a laughing stock. As his wife Margaret Drysdale prides herself on being part of Beverly Hills society, Milburn makes the mistake of asking her to help the Clampetts. But she will do anything to get the Clampetts shunned so they will want to go back to Tennessee and so she encourages all of their preparations, such as cooking possum and decorating the house with corn husks. She also takes over dressing Elly and doing her hair. She fits Elly with a red dress that looks like it would be worn by a wild west saloon girl. But when Jane discovers what is going on she notifies everyone on the guest list that the event will be a costume ball. So everyone shows up in masquerade outfits and think that the Clampetts are also in costume. Society Sandy comes as a cigar smoking Little Bow Peep. The party is a huge success. 
            Sandy was played by Robert Strauss, who started on Broadway in 1930 in Macbeth and Twelfth Night. He had regular roles on several popular radio series. He began appearing in movies in the 1940s but starting getting better roles in 1952. After playing "Animal" in Stalag 17 on Broadway, he reprised the role on film and was nominated for an Oscar. He was incapacitated later in life after having several shock therapy sessions to treat combat depression. 




            For the fifth night in a row I found no bedbugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment