Monday 13 March 2023

Robert M. Leeds


            I usually wake up at around 4:00, go to pee and then come back to bed to sleep for almost another hour. On Sunday I woke up at the usual time but realized when I looked at my phone that the time had changed and it was now 5:00. It just felt wrong to be getting up that early. I wish they'd just keep standard time and get rid of all this back and forth bullshit. They keep beating around the bush about it. It's time to return to at least that much reality and start using real time again. 
            I ran through singing and playing "Sorry Angel You Had to Go", my translation of "Sorry Angel" by Serge Gainsbourg. Then I uploaded it to Christian's Translations and began the editing process to prepare it to be published on the blog. I should have that done tomorrow. 
            I weighed 84.8 kilos before breakfast. 
            I wanted to work on my essay but I felt very tired and so I went to bed for an hour before lunch to get back the hour I lost. 
            I weighed 84.5 kilos before lunch. 
            After lunch I took another one hour siesta. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Bloor and Bathurst. 
            I weighed 85 kilos at 17:00, which is the heaviest I've been at that time in at least a month. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 17:42. 
            I worked a couple hours on my essay, mostly on this paragraph: 

            Despite the creature's masculinity his circumstance of being judged by appearances is an exaggerated inversion of the aesthetic determinations that govern the lives of women. Someone acknowledged as male would not normally be critiqued aesthetically to the degree that a woman experiences such criticism. But the fact that the creature's only insurmountable disadvantage is his appearance speaks also about society's aesthetic judgement of women. Women are expected to be primarily attractive while any intellectual assets they have are considered to be secondary. At best a woman's intellect may serve as a compliment to her beauty, like a mole that is called a "beauty mark" to draw attention by contrast to her more pleasant aesthetic attributes. Wollstonecraft says this secondary charm of the intellect will no longer be directly noticed when a woman's physical beauty fades and is no longer there to illuminate it. "The woman who has only been taught to please will soon find that her charms are oblique sun-beams... when the summer of her physical beauty is past and gone" (18). This disadvantage that women experience of being judged by personal appearance and shut out from full participation in society because of deviation from accepted understandings of beauty is exaggerated into a gender reversed hell for Frankenstein's masculine creature as he is condemned to exile for being ugly.

            I had avocadoes and tomatoes with lemon juice and a glass of Garden Cocktail while watching season 5, episode 26 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            Drysdale acquired a baby hippo when he foreclosed on a circus. He tried to donate it to a children's zoo but he insisted on painting advertizements for his bank on the beast, so the zoo refused. The hippo is in Drysdale's backyard while he figures out what to do with it. When Granny pokes her head through the hedge and sees it she thinks it's a giant hog and she wants it to cook. When Elly sees it she says it's a hippopotamus from Africa but Granny won't listen. Jed catches Granny trying to steal it and stops her. He offers to buy it from Drysdale who sells it for $200. When Granny comes to haggle for a lower price Drysdale offers it for free but Granny wants to haggle. They go back and forth and when Drysdale offers it for $30 Granny says $50. When Jethro doesn't know why she didn't settle for the lower price she tells him he doesn't know anything about haggling. Once the Clampetts own the hippo Elly wants to make a pet of it. When Drysdale hears they plan on butchering it he has to stop her and give it to the zoo. 
            The film editing for this episode and many others was done by Robert M. Leeds, who started as a film editor for Jack Webb's production company. He directed the film, "Pete Kelly's Blues". He directed most of the episodes of "Project UFO", nine episodes of "The D.A.'s Man", and five episodes of "G.E. True". He also directed the TV movie "The Return of the Beverly Hillbillies". He was married to Donna Douglas for nine years, starting from around the time The Beverly Hillbillies was canceled.


            For the ninth night in a row I found no bedbugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment