Sunday 5 March 2023

Henry Freulich


            On Saturday morning I worked out the chords to the second verse of "Fugue" by Boris Vian. 
            I ran through playing and singing "Apocalyptic Seizure of Love", which is my translation of "Love On the Beat" by Serge Gainsbourg. I uploaded it to Christian's Translations to prepare it for publication on the blog and should have it posted tomorrow. 
            There was a big snowstorm overnight with thunder. It's very wet snow and it's stuck to the east side of all of the vertical structures like buildings and poles. 
            I weighed 84.7 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I went to No Frills. There was lots of snow on the street but it was only about zero and the snow that had clung to the wires and trees was dropping like little bombs. I didn't wear any extra layers other than three pairs of socks because I needed to have my Kodiaks on to traverse the snowbanks. I bought five bags of red grapes, some bananas, strawberries, a pint of blueberries, deodorant, and Sunlight dish detergent. 
            I weighed 84.5 kilos before lunch. I had a slice of toasted Bavarian sandwich bread with peanut butter and almond milk. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride. I wasn't sure how far I would go, but there had been a lot of melting the day after the big storm. I saw a guy shoveling his driveway in a t-shirt. The way was mostly clear all the way to Bloor and Bathurst. I only had to leave the Bloor bike lane for half a block just before Ossington because a plough had stuffed the entrance to the bike lane with a high pile of snow. 
            I weighed 84.7 kilos at 17:15, which is the heaviest I've been at that time in three weeks. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:00. 
            I read through my Frankenstein presentation a couple of times. 
            I read more of Peter Pan and there are only twenty pages left in the main story. But after that there are some other Peter Pan stories that take up about seventy pages.
            I had the rest of the lima beans with Basilica sauce and salsa that I'd made on Wednesday and had it with a slice of toasted Bavarian sandwich bread and a glass of almond milk while watching season 5, episode 18 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            Granny has decided to retire from practicing medicine because she's come down with what she says is a new illness that she has named "Granny's Complex". But the symptoms are the same as those for old age. She wants to dedicate the rest of her life to finding a cure and so she plans to take her $15 million share of Jed's money and go back to the Tennessee hills to do research. But she has decided that she can't leave until she's trained someone to take her place and so she is trying to teach medicine to Jethro and Elly May. Mr. Drysdale does not want to lose all that money from his bank. He tries to make Jane sick so Granny will have someone to treat in Beverly Hills. Drysdale asks his Doctor, Roy Clyburn to make Granny feel important and ask her for advice. Clyburn refuses because he's had too many run-ins with Granny and even witch doctors think she's a quack. But Drysdale promises Clyburn he'll get Jed to donate $8 million to the charity clinic he plans to start and so he agrees. When Clyburn goes to see Granny she makes him one of her students. But when he tells her about penicillin and that it is made from bread mold, she thinks he's practicing dark ages medicine. She decides to focus on her cure for Granny's Complex. What she concocts is a very powerful batch of her moonshine and when she drinks it she says her symptoms have disappeared. She can no longer feel her rheumatism and she's seeing twice as good as before because she is seeing double. 
            The cinematographer for this episode was Henry Freulich, who started out as a cameraman for the movie The Hunchback of Notre Dame in 1922. He shot the films It Happened One Night, Air Hawks, Unknown Woman, Inside Detroit, and over 100 Three Stooges films. He was a combat cameraman during WWII.




            I searched for bedbugs and found none.

No comments:

Post a Comment