Friday 10 March 2023

Kay St. Germain Wells


            On Thursday morning I worked out the chords for two more lines of "Fugue" by Boris Vian. There are five lines left but only a couple are on the recordings, so I'll have to wing it and just anticipate how the unrecorded text might sound if sung. 
            I finished memorizing "Sorry Angel" by Serge Gainsbourg. I looked for the chords and found a set which I transcribed. I'll look for some more tomorrow and then start figuring them out. 
            I weighed 84 kilos before breakfast, which is the lightest I've been in the morning in over a month and a half. 
            I read up to page 130 of Never Let Me Go. The students at Hailsham, the residential school in England where this book begins, are all destined to become organ donors. They have somehow been bred with the inability to have children but I guess they can't be clones because none of them are alike. I noticed that they don't seem to be taught any of the sciences. There is no math, biology, chemistry or physics. The only subjects mentioned are Art, English, and Geography. But none of the subjects are being learned towards a career. When they get to 15 or so they are told it's okay to have sex with each other. Supposedly it's good to have an active sex life for the health of some of the internal organs they will donate. After Hailsham they are sent in smaller groups to The Cottages where they take care of the cottage and spend two years writing an essay. 
            I weighed 84.4 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Bloor and Bathurst. On the way home I stopped at Freshco where I bought seven bags of red grapes, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, lemons, avocadoes, vine tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, Garden Cocktail and orange juice. It all cost $135. 
            I weighed 84 kilos at 17:30. 
            I got a notice from Professor Jaffe that I earned an A minus on my presentation. I thought it was worth a solid A. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:42. 
            I got up to page 178 in Never Let Me Go. Kathy is the narrator and her two best friends are Ruth and Tommy, who are a couple. After Hailsham they and a few other graduates went to the same cottage together. At the cottages are veterans, who are older students who came a few years before and they now act as guides. Two veterans named Rodney and Chrissie, who are also a couple, say that when Rodney was in Norfolk he saw a woman that might be Ruth's "possible". That means the woman might be the one from whom Ruth was cloned. So Kathy, Ruth, Tommy, Rodney, and Chrissie take a trip to Norfolk. They see the middle aged woman through an office window and think she might really be the one. But later they see her on the street and they think otherwise. Ruth says that because the woman looks successful she couldn't be cloned from her because she's sure the people they found were the lowest dregs of human society as she sees it, like junkies and tramps. 
            I had three potatoes and the rest of my redeye gravy. I didn't finish all the gravy and threw the rest out. Tomorrow I start my fast. I ate while watching season 5, episode 23 of The Beverly Hillbillies.
            Jed only gives Jethro an allowance of fifty cents a week and he can't attract Beverly Hills girls with that, so he goes looking for a job from Lawrence Chapman who runs Jed's movie studio. While he's there he sees a Spanish matador named El Magnifico being mobbed by adoring female fans. Jethro decides he wants to be a bullfighter and asks Jed to buy him a bull to fight. Jed buys him a steer because he figures they can always eat it when Jethro is done fighting with it. It's the wrong kind of bull for fighting but I also doubt a steer would be used because a good fighting bull needs to be spirited and would also be put out for breeding at the end of its career. 
            Drysdale learns how rich El Magnifico is and decides to match him with Elly. They hit it off but when she goes to a bullfight she doesn't like the bull being abused and jumps into the arena to toss El Magnifico over the wall. Then Jethro jumps in to fight the bull but eventually the bull butts him over the wall. He gives up bullfighting. 
            Chapman's secretary was played by Kay St. Germain Wells, who started as a big band singer for Anson Weeks's Orchestra. She was a featured singer on several radio shows. She was the first to sing "I Only Have Eyes For You". She toured a one woman show called Love Laughter and Song. She was close friends with The Beverly Hillbillies producer Paul Henning and his wife. She was married to Canadian actor Jack Carson. 



            For the sixth night in a row I found no bedbugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment