Sunday 30 May 2021

Basilicata Sauce


            On Saturday morning I turned the heat off at 6:00 but it kept on blasting. I re-switched it off several times but it didn't feel like it went off until 8:00. 
            I searched for the chords for "O Canada" and transcribed the first four versions I found. The very first one seems to work best for me. I worked them out for the first line and might have them laid out for all four verses on Sunday. 
            I weighed 89 kilos before breakfast. I had the last of the candied smoked salmon with cream cheese on a toasted Montreal style bagel. 
            In the late morning I took a bike ride. I wore shorts even though it was almost too cold, but I also wore my long sleeved shirt unbuttoned. My upper body gets cooler on a bike ride than my legs. In some places in front of restaurants along the Bloor bike lane they've put wheel chair ramps, I assume in preparation for the first phase of lifting the lockdown. Perhaps on those sections of the bike lane they plan to create temporary patios because there are cones blocking those sections now. When the ramps were first put in there was no blockage, but I suspect some cyclists might have wiped out while going over them crossways. 
            When I got back I stopped at home to pee and then went out to the supermarket. There no grapes or cherries at No Frills and so I just got three mangoes, orange juice and Greek yogourt.
            After taking my groceries home I went back out and walked over to Fullworth to buy some CR2032 batteries that I use mostly for my guitar tuner but also a few other things. I bought all ten of the last ones they had. Then I went to the liquor store and bought a six-pack of Creemore with the gift card that Shankar had given me on my birthday. I didn't know how much was on it until the cashier told me it was $20, so I still have $2 and change left. 
            I weighed 88.9 kilos before lunch. I had the Italian pasta salad that I'd bought last week at Freshco, plus a couple of sliced tomatoes and the rest of my lime aid. 
            I took a siesta and slept an hour and a quarter longer than usual. 
            I weighed 89 kilos at 18:00. 
            I made pizza on a slice of Bavarian sandwich bread with Basilicata sauce, a chopped up beef burger and slices of old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching two episodes of Andy Griffith. 
            In the first story the first day of fishing season is approaching and a lot of Mayberry residents are excited. They are talking once again of the possibility of catching Old Sam, which is the only silver carp in the lake and many of the fishermen have stories of almost catching the big fish. Howard Sprague approaches Floyd and Goober and asks if he can come along but they make excuses but it's really because they don't want a newbie splashing around and scaring away the fish. Andy feels the same way but he's too polite to turn Howard down. Howard buys all the state of the art equipment, including a thermometer and a depth measurer. When they are fishing Andy has to rescue Howard several times after getting his hook caught in the trees and his pants. But then suddenly while wading in the lake Howard catches something and it turns out to be Old Sam. Howard puts it in a tank to show to everyone and then the Raleigh Aquarium asks him to donate it. Everyone is depressed about losing Old Sam but Howard doesn't realize that until he takes Opie up to Raleigh to see Old Sam. Finally Howard retrieves the fish and they release Old Sam back into the lake, making everyone very happy. 
            In the second story the annual flower show is approaching which includes a hybrid rose competition. Clara Edwards always wins but this year Bee is entering a rose that she has bred. There is some rivalry between Bee and Clara that intrudes upon their long standing friendship. When Bee's rose blooms it is pink and white and beautiful and Bee is sure she will win. Pictures are taken. But later Opie is playing catch with a football and it ends up breaking and ruining Bee's rose. She is very sad but holds her head up and attends the flower show anyway. Just before the rose winner is announced Opie walks in and gives Bee a photo he had developed of her rose. Clara is behind Bee and sees the picture. The rose winner again is Clara but she stands up and shows everyone the picture of Bee's rose and declares that hers couldn't have possibly won against it. She puts the blue ribbon on the picture of Bee's rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment