Wednesday 12 May 2021

May 12, 1991: The boss at the flower place said I owed them $175. I told him they owed me $50. He apologized and gave me my commission


Thirty years ago today

            When I arrived to work for the flower place on Mothers Day there was a long queue and a goofy guy at the door telling me that I couldn't get in until I stood in line. I told him to call the boss over but he seemed oblivious without a manager as a go between. I went past the guard and looked for one of the bosses but couldn't find him and so I sat down, finished my coffee and Danish and then tried again. This time I found the guy who'd come to get my money the night before. He called Allen over, who told me I was short $175. I said, "No way!" and informed him that they actually owed me $50. He asked me into his office, gave me the rest of my commission, apologized and let me go to the front of the line. I was driven out to sell in Burlington and at the end of the day I made $196 but got an extra $36. 
           I called Nancy and she was still okay, although the baby was now five days late.

No comments:

Post a Comment