Wednesday 12 May 2021

June Vincent


            On Tuesday morning I finished working out the chords for “Mister Iceberg” by Serge Gainsbourg and ran through it in French and English. I uploaded it to Christian’s Translations and might have it published on the blog tomorrow. 
            In the late morning I checked to make sure Domino Foods at St Lawrence Market is open under the lock down, found out it was and headed down there. I went to Domino to get candy to send to my daughter Astrid for her birthday on Monday. I bought various chocolate coated items like cherries, coffee beans and ginger. I also got lots of sour gummies because Astrid has always liked sour stuff. Upstairs I picked up a dozen sesame seed Montreal style bagels for myself as well as some hot salami pepperettes. 
            I weighed 88.1 kilos when I got back from St Lawrence Market. I normally don’t eat bread on Tuesdays but I thought since I had fresh bagels it would be a shame to waste them, so I had one for lunch with five year old cheddar, plus a glass of orange juice. 
            I took a siesta an hour later than usual and slept twelve minutes longer than my habitual ninety minutes. 
            I went over to the post office at the back of the Vina Pharmacy to get a shipping package for mailing Astrid’s candy. On the way out I asked the pharmacist about the vaccine since I'd put my name down online a couple of weeks ago to get the shot there. He said they don’t have it yet even though they were supposed to get it three months ago. He explained that Vina is a small, independent pharmacy and they are at the bottom of the list of drug stores that will be getting the vaccine, so it might not come until June. 
            I weighed 88.6 kilos at 18:00. 
            I worked on my poem series “My Blood in a Bug.” 
            I looked through all of the footage from the movie I shot last night. There are a total of 29 short videos. I named them “Cords” in numbered order and imported the first two into Movie Maker and deleted several parts where I or my shadow are in the shot. These first two clips are from the Nikon before the battery ran out and they are from a distance. The second one shows a fair amount of motion in the cords though. 
            I colourized a bit more of my photo of the skateboarder from the 80s and then I digitally fixed some of the damage on a photo of my ex-girlfriend Brenda from 1987. 
            I weighed 88.2 kilos before dinner. I had a potato, a slice of corned beef brisket and gravy while watching two episodes of Andy Griffith. 
            In the first story Andy gets a $1000 cheque in the mail from a Hollywood studio that is making a movie based on the article that was written about him called “Sheriff Without a Gun". Andy wants to keep it a secret but Goober tells three people and it snowballs from there. Everyone wants to see the cheque. Andy wants to put it in the bank but Aunt Bee and Helen convince him to take a trip with Bee and Opie to Hollywood. The episode ends with them on the plane. 
            The second story begins on the plane just before they arrive in Los Angeles. When the director of the movie finds out they are in Hollywood he invites them to the studio. The actor who plays Andy is short and bald but wears a toupee for the part. Although the sheriff does not carry a gun he does use his fists and Andy and Opie enjoy it but Bee is upset because it’s not realistic. That night she is crying and convinces Andy to talk with the director about changing the picture. The next day before Andy can speak with the director they watch another scene. This one has Aunt Bee as a young, attractive gun toting mama and Bee changes her mind about the movie being unrealistic. She thinks she was portrayed very accurately. 
            The actor who played Andy was Gavin McLeod, who is part Ojibwa. His first big television role was on McHale's Navy but in films he was typecast as bad guys. It wasn't until he played Murray Slaughter on the Mary Tyler Moore Show that he became endeared to the public. He went straight from the end of the Mary Tyler Moore Show to starring in The Love Boat. 


            The actor who played Aunt Bee was June Vincent, who started out at 17 as a model and then started acting. In the 1940s starred in the film noir pictures “Black Angel” and “Shed No Tears" and also in the horror film “The Creeper."








No comments:

Post a Comment