Saturday 15 May 2021

Maggie Magennis


            On Friday morning I memorized the third verse of “Aux armes et caetera" by Serge Gainsbourg and almost had the whole song nailed down but parts of the last verse slipped away each time I got to it. I shouldn’t have any problem with it on Saturday. 
            I weighed 89.1 kilos before breakfast.
            In the late morning I tackled cleaning my oven again with a cloth, steel wool and baking soda. I blackened four buckets of water and detergent. I had to take photos of what I’d done, upload them and then compare them to the last pictures so I could see if I’d made progress. I made a lot it turns out. There’s much more of the metal blue of the actual oven showing through on the bottom, back and sides and a lot less of the black, caked in grease. But there is still plenty more to do. I think it might take the next week to have it clean. 


            I weighed 88.5 kilos before lunch. I had kettle chips, salsa and yogourt with a glass of orange juice. 
            Windows keeps wanting to do updates but they can’t seem to be completed because my computer won't restart during the process. 
            I took a bike ride to Yonge and Bloor and wore my tank top with my button shirt in my backpack just in case. I probably could have worn shorts but it didn’t feel quite hot enough. 
            I weighed 88.8 kilos after my bike ride and a glass of water.
            I worked on my poem series “My Blood in a Bug." 
            I converted five MOV files to MP4. I had hoped to do ten but one of them didn’t seem to be moving very quickly. I made allowances for the fact that it was a bigger file but I finally decided it had failed without any indication. I cancelled it and started over and this time it completed, although after about half an hour. 
            I made a new batch of chicken gravy and had some with my dinner of a potato and the rest of my corned beef brisket while watching two episodes of Andy Griffith. 
            In the first story Aunt Bee decides to get a job. A new print shop has opened up in town and she answers an ad they placed to employ a woman. When she goes to apply she finds the young and attractive Violet Rose there with the same intention. Violet seems quite confident that her looks will earn her the position but the two men in charge hire Bee. Their reason for giving Bee the job is because with her at the reception desk it gives the business an air of legitimacy. They need that since the print shop is a front for a counterfeiting operation. They are especially pleased to find out that Bee’s nephew is the sheriff. Andy learns that fake $10 bills are showing up in Raleigh and then later they are passed in Siler City, which means they are moving in the direction of Mayberry. When Bee gets her first paycheque she doesn’t have time to go to the bank and so she asked one of her employer’s customers to cash it for her. He does so but in three counterfeit $10 bills. She buys a new dress, a football for Opie and some groceries. She also got her boss to print some business cards for Andy. Andy thinks it’s curious that the cards are printed in green ink. When Andy learns that three counterfeit tens have appeared in three different places in Mayberry, Bee passes the information along to her bosses. They had not wanted the fake bills to be circulated in Mayberry and so they immediately close the shop. Andy finally realizes that the three places the counterfeit tens had appeared were all stores where Bee had shopped, plus the green ink on his business cards. The crooks are driving away with Bee and Warren waving goodbye when Andy walks up, pulls Warren’s gun and shoots the tire on the car. It's the first time we've seen Andy shoot or even hold a gun in the line of duty. 
            Violet Rose was played by Maggie Magennis, who started out as a model. She made her screen debut in the “I Love Lucy” episode "Don Juan and the Starlets". She only made ten mostly uncredited TV appearances. 
            In the second story the church organ played by Clara is malfunctioning so much that Clara stops in the middle of the service and runs away in tears. A committee is formed to look for a new organ for the $1200 they’ve raised. They find a beautiful one on a farm but Harlan Robinson the owner wants $2000 and can’t budge because he needs a new barn. Andy gets the committee members to each pledge $150 and then asks Harlan for a week to pay him. They get the organ and Clara is in love with it but when it comes time for the pledgers to pay all they give are excuses. Finally Andy has to take the organ back to Harlan but Clara asks to come along. When Clara learns that Harlan is unmarried she asks to play the organ one more time. She sings to Harlan “Some Enchanted Evening" and I guess he falls for her. Suddenly the barn is not so important and Harlan is willing to wait for the pledges as he seems to start courting Clara.

No comments:

Post a Comment