Wednesday 19 May 2021

May 19, 1991: The baby's umbilical cord was smelling like a dead rat


Thirty years ago today

            On Sunday morning Nancy's parents went to church and left the place quiet for a while. 
            I tried to call a few people to announce the birth of my child and left messages with Brenda, Chris and Heidi but they had yet to phone me back. 
            Our midwife Bridget said that the baby was doing wonderfully. 
            Her umbilical cord was rotting and smelling like a dead rat. 
            The baby just ate, slept, shit and smiled. The shit from a newborn baby doesn't smell like faeces at all and has a sweet aroma. I enjoyed cleaning her. 
            Nancy wasn't getting much sleep. I continued to get her meals and sometimes fed her while she was feeding the baby, who was still nameless. We stayed inside the house and hadn't left since the birth. 
            I danced a lot while holding the baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment