Tuesday 10 August 2021

August 10, 1991: I danced with the bride, her mother, my sister, my sister in law, my daughter and myself


Thirty years ago today

            On Saturday I got up at around 7:00. I shaved and showered and then gave the baby a bath. The baby and I were ready within and hour but I had to wait and wait and wait for Nancy. Finally with less than half an hour for us to get to the GO station she got into the car. We were on time but after we got out of the car and her father drove away I realized that I'd forgotten my dress jackets. We caught the bus but when it pulled into the station it didn't look familiar. When I asked the driver where we were he said it was Oshawa so we had to take a cab to Whitby. As we arrived at the Whitby GO parking lot I thought I saw my sister in law Flo leaving. We waited and called and waited until she came back an hour later. We got to Lindsay at about 13:30 and we stopped at my niece Kelly's place to freshen up. Then we went to her wedding. They played "Love Is Like A River" and "You Are the Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler. I lined up for Eucharist and the baby cried a bit. 
            After the wedding we went to the hall and I took pictures of Kelly and others. My brother and sister were there and of course Kelly's mother Ann, my brother's ex-wife. We posed for family shit. We had a bland but charming meat and potatoes banquet. I drank my toasts with beer because the wine was horrible. It took me a while to start dancing. Nancy didn't want to but I finally got her to waltz. I danced with Kelly, Ann, my sister Sibyl, Flo and by myself. The baby slept through the whole thing until the last couple of songs and then I danced her back to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment