Saturday 7 August 2021

Suzanne Benoit


            On Friday morning I worked out the chords for most of the intro of "La java des chaussettes à clous" (The Dance of the Studded Stockings) by Boris Vian.
            I finished posting my translation of "Manu Manuréva" by Serge Gainsbourg and started looking for an audio sample of his lyrics for the song "Démodé" (Out of Style) but I had a hell of a time finding it. It was sung by Alain Chamfort, who wrote the music but a direct search for a video turned up nothing. Then I found a guy doing karaoke to the song in front of his Christmas tree. Finally I found a site that was selling the song and had a sample, which was from a YouTube video, which I bookmarked so I can start learning it tomorrow. 
            I weighed 88.9 kilos before breakfast. 
            A little after noon I scraped the black off of one side of the outside of my square baking pan. If I hadn't done a full shave in the late morning I would have had time to clean two sides. 
            I wrote another email to Albert Moritz asking again how to send my manuscript to Exile Editions. He'd said he'd look into it three weeks ago but hadn't gotten back to me. 
            I weighed 89 kilos before lunch. 
            In the hot afternoon I took a bike ride to Yonge and Bloor. There were quite a few cyclists on the Bloor bike lane but they were easy to pass and so not annoying. On the way home along Queen Street I didn't see a single bus until I was unlocking my building door. I weighed 88.4 kilos when I got home. 
            I reworked part of the first poem of "My Blood In A Bug." 
            I decided not to try to crop all of episode two of season two of "American Horror Story" because it would probably take a long time to do a whole show. Instead I imported it into Windows Movie Maker and trimmed everything but the three minutes and forty two seconds just before and until the end of the shock therapy scene. I made that smaller clip into a movie and deleted the episode. Tomorrow I'll try to figure out how to crop the clip so that the FX watermark isn't showing. 
            I colourized three more damage spots in my photo of the skateboarder. The spots float like scattered little blobs in multiple colours around the skateboarder who is supended in the air. I've named the photo "Anti Gravity's Rainbow." 
            I finished digitally repairing a photo I took in 1991 of a friend named Carlo who lived up the street from me. Then I started on another picture of the inside of the chicken butcher place A. Stork and Sons. 
            I grilled six Chinese style char siu pork chops that I'd bought frozen a couple of weeks ago. I had two with a potato and gravy while watching two episodes of Gomer Pyle. 
            In the first story the men have to go out in the wilderness in pairs without food supplies for five days. They are told that all they will probably find to eat will be bark and berries and they will probably have to dig for water that needs to be filtered with a cloth to get the dirt out before needing to be boiled. Sergeant Carter tries to train his men in finding their way around and setting up camp but when the time comes to pair off, since Gomer doesn't seem to have shown himself to be good at anything, Carter goes with him. Once they are out there they need to find water. Carter digs a deep hole until he finds a very muddy underground stream, but meanwhile Gomer finds an overground fresh water stream. They've been eating berries and bark for a day but the next morning Carter wakes up to the smell of fish frying. Gomer had turned his key ring into a hook and used his shoelace for a line. They have to leave the stream behind because they have to hike to a designated spot on their map. Gomer sets a trap and catches a pheasant and he also picks tobacco and makes cigars for Carter to smoke. All the other men lose weight during the five days but Gomer and Carter gain. The captain is very impressed with Gomer's resourcefullness but Carter's pride is hurt and when he stops yelling at Pyle, Gomer doesn't think he likes him anymore. But Gomer points out to the captain that he would have been lost without Sergeant Carter's orienteering know-how and so Carter feels better and starts to yell again.
            In the second story Colonel Harper's daughter Jane is home from college and he needs someone to be her date for the enlisted men's dance. None of the officers want the responsibility of taking out the boss's daughter but his assistant suggests he get an enlisted man to take her out. The thing is that Harper's wife is extremely overprotective of Jane, which is why she has her in an all girls college. Every platoon has to pick one possible date for Jane and Carter picks Gomer because he's the only one without a date already. When the colonel hears how boring Pyle is he thinks he's just the man to ease his wife's worries. But when she hears Gomer is a country boy she believes those are the wildest kind of men. The colonel is much more easy going and less protective than his wife. At the dance the mother sees Gomer dancing with Jane too close and too fast and tells him to ease off. Later she sees that Jane and Gomer have left the dance and she calls for a full out manhunt. Meanwhile Gomer has taken Jane home and they are sitting on her porch while Gomer sings and plays guitar. She tells Gomer he's made her very happy and she kisses him just as her parents drive up. Her mother is upset and tells her husband to punish Gomer but Jane protests and she starts kissing Gomer over and over to show her mother that it was her that initiated the affection. Harper understands and tells Gomer he can kiss his daughter goodnight if he wants. Gomer shyly gives her a peck on the cheek before leaving. 
            Colonel and Mrs Harper were played by real life husband and wife Karl Swenson and Joan Tomkins. 
            Jane was played by Suzanne Benoit, whose first screen role was on Gunsmoke in 1965. She appeared three times on Gomer Pyle as the colonel's daughter, although her name was changed. One profile lists her also as an artist and another as a makeup artist. I think some later photos have her mixed up with a Montreal executive with the same name.




No comments:

Post a Comment