Tuesday 3 August 2021

Unholey Fulfillment


            On Monday I woke up a little after 4:00 because I had to pee and since it wasn't an hour or more earlier I decided not to do an extensive search for bedbugs because if I did I wouldn't able to get back to sleep before having to get up at 5:00. The one I'd done at 3:00 on Sunday turned up nothing so I was fairly satisfied with just a quick scan of the bed, the pillow, the walls and the baseboards before going back to sleep. It occurred to me that the reason I've seen only six bedbugs since July 27 might be because of the pyrethroid dust that the exterminator spread around twice in June. 
            I found another set of chords for "Le java des chaussettes à clous" (The Dance of the Studded Stockings) by Boris Vian. All of the sets I've found have the song in the key of C. 
            I worked out the chords for the rest of the third and most of the fourth verse of "Manu Manuréva" by Serge Gainsbourg. There are only two verses left and so I think I'll be done tomorrow. 
            I weighed 89.4 kilos before breakfast. 
            In the late morning I whittled the little piece of floorboard to fit into the little hole in the northwest corner of my bedroom floor. I wasn't sure if it was small enough but I was afraid that if it was then it would slip into the hole and that I wouldn't be able to get it out before gluing it. So I put some glue in the hole first. Then I found the piece wouldn't just slip in so I took a hammer and chisel and forced it in and then down. It turned out I'd pushed it in so far that there was still a little space and so I cut a smaller piece of floor board and shoved it down to fill the gap. It's a little lower than the rest of the floor and so it's still noticeable but not as obviously a hole as it was before. I did some plastering to bring the baseboard down to meet it and then I spackled some other sections of the western wall and baseboard, including the last hole in the wall where I found a bedbug hiding. The quick drying spackle that I bought seems to have chemicals in it that make it dry fast and so it's not pleasant to have my face close to it when I'm doing close work. 
            I weighed 89.3 kilos before lunch. I had kettle chips, salsa, yogourt and a glass of orange juice.
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Yonge and Bloor. There were a lot of cyclists out on the Bloor bike lane. For the last week Queen Street has been closed from Bay to York because of streetcar track laying, and so I always go a block south to Richmond and ride west to York and then back up to Queen. Along Queen I had to go on the tracks a lot to pass slow cyclists. I weighed 88.6 kilos when I got home. 
            I worked on my poem series "My Blood In A Bug" and finished another draft of the manuscript. It basically goes in chronological order and so next time I'll start at the beginning again. Most of the thirty three pages are made up of text that has been formed into poems, with little bits here and there that have yet to find a home. 
            I did a web search for footage of patients or other people being strapped down for electroshock therapy or otherwise. The closest thing I could find after an hour of searching is a clip from the show American Horror Story. I bookmarked it and I'll download it tomorrow. I just need a second of the scene of the person being restrained. 
            I colourized three more damage spots on my photo of the skateboarder. 
            I cleaned my monitor screen so I could see better to digitally repair a photo from 1991 of my friend Carlo. 
            I had a potato with gravy and a small steak while watching the first two episodes of "Gomer Pyle USMC." The first story ignores the original story of Gomer's first day in the marines from The Andy Griffith Show. So this is his revised first day and it begins with Gomer getting a haircut and giving the marine barber instructions as to how he likes it done, although every marine gets the same close cut. As a drill instructor Sergeant Carter has gotten an honour patrol for three years in a row but the only thing that's stopping him this time is Gomer's inability to run the obstacle course. He can't climb a wall, crawl through a pipe head first, climb a rope web without getting tangled upside down and can't swing on a rope over a water hazard. But Gomer is so determined to not disappoint the sergeant that he goes out to the obstacle course in the middle of the night to try over and over to successfully run it. The result however is that Gomer is too exhausted the next day to perform his training and is excused by doctors to sleep. The next night he goes out again and this time he accomplishes his goal. The colonel sees him and asks what he's doing and Gomer explains that he's trying to please his sergeant. When Gomer is sleeping the next day Carter sees this as a chance to get him discharged. He goes to the colonel but the colonel is full of praise for Carter because of dedication he's inspired in Pyle. Carter changes his attitude towards Gomer and lets him sleep. That night he catches Gomer on the course again and tells him to get some sleep so he can do it during the day. 
            In the second story Gomer's bunk mate Joey is refusing to eat because he hasn't heard from his girl Rosemary. Next we see Rosemary trying to persuade the colonel to let her see Joey but he says the rules are there are no visitors until four weeks of trainibg have been completed. Gomer has been given the job of transporting some mattresses and when he sees a woman standing by the fence he says hello. When he finds out she is Rosemary he sneaks her in past the guard while holding a mattress behind which she is walking. Rosemary and Joey are very happy to see one another but then the other guys in the bunkhouse find out there's a woman there. They will all get in trouble if she doesn't get off the base. Gomer tries to sneak her off behind a mattress again but when someone approaches him Rosemary runs into the nearest building, which happens to be Sergeant Carter's quarters. Carter finds Rosemary in his locker and he knows right away that Pyle is behind it. Now Carter has to help to get her off the base or risk severe discipline or even imprisonment. They try to carry her out in the locker but the colonel comes around and they have to put it back in Carter's quarters. Gomer says he has a plan and so Rosemary is dressed as a marine and Carter marches the whole squad to the gate where Rosemary sneaks out. Now Carter has to deal with a woman's dress hanging in his locker. 
            Rosemary was played by Lois Roberts, who played Molly McGuire on the short lived series "Broadside." She played Agnes in the 1961 national tour of "Gypsy."


No comments:

Post a Comment