Thursday 19 August 2021

August 19, 1991: My bosses gave me a raise to $12 an hour but wanted me to wear nicer clothes


Thirty years ago today 

            On Monday at 11:00 I was about to leave for downtown to write my driving test when I got a call from Wayne asking me to come in to work. I got there at 13:00 and helped Gino Scarpelli get his stuff together to ship to the new place, but there was a lot of sitting around. 
            I saw Monty and asked him for a raise but he said "Talk to André." André said "Talk to me later."
            I had to load a trailer with furniture from the warehouse, mostly by myself. Later Gary and Ray helped finish it. 
            I talked with André and Monty and they told me that I would start getting $12 an hour as of that day but they added that they wanted me to wear nicer clothes. I didn't say anything but I was appalled that they would even mention it as if it were a condition for me earning more money. 
            Ray gave me a ride to Steeles.

No comments:

Post a Comment