Tuesday 31 August 2021

August 31, 1991: During my sidewalk sale I made big bubbles and floated them down the street


Thirty years ago today

            I slept at my place on Friday night so I could set up the sidewalk sale on Saturday morning. I got up at around 8:00 and went out for some groceries. While I was having breakfast at 8:30 an old German lady came in expecting the sale to be ready. She said that a lot of people start at 8:30. I began to put stuff out at 9:00. I mixed water, dish soap and glycerine to make bubble stuff. I forget what I used for a hoop to make large bubbles that floated down the street but they looked pretty cool. Since I'd advertised this as a Gwen Jacob inspired topless lawn sale I kept my shirt off all day. In the course of the day I sold eleven Playboys, the stereo cabinet, a Bible, some wallpaper and some glasses. I only made $26, which was $4 short of what I paid in total for the stapler and for copying the posters. 
            Nancy, her sister Susan, the baby and I went to Griffith's for dinner before heading back to Nancy's place.

No comments:

Post a Comment