Monday 9 August 2021

Kathie Browne


            On Sunday morning I worked out the chords for the first verse of "La java des chaussettes à clous" (The Dance of the Studded Stockings) by Boris Vian. 
            I finished memorizing "Démodé" (Out of Style) by Serge Gainsbourg and out of habit looked for the chords even though I didn't think anyone would have posted them. I was right and so I worked out the first two chords of the intro. 
            There was a lot of opening and closing of the doors in the hallway because my upstairs neighbour in number 6 was moving out. I got a little block of wood that I had lying around and propped the door open for them. 
            I weighed 89.9 kilos before breakfast. 
            In the late morning I scraped the black off of two corners of another side of my square baking pan.
            I had a lunch date with my upstairs neighbour David at noon but he hadn't come to my door yet so I went and watched one of the songs from the Songs For Drella movie by John Cale and Lou Reed. Lou Reed was such an overrated hack, especially his lyrics, which rarely did anything new or poetic with words. John Cale was so much better as both a musician and songwriter. 
            When I came back to the kitchen David was standing at my door. We went to the Skyline covid patio but had to sit in the sun because all the umbrella tables were taken. When one cleared up we asked to go there but the host said we couldn't because it was for four people. But shortly after that two women with a white kitten on a leash sat down at the table and nobody said they couldn't. When I asked our waiter about it she went to ask the host and came back to say it was just a miscommunication and nothing personal. But where's the miscommunication in "those tables are reserved for four people"?
            I had a burger that was a little too rare and the house lager. David had a club sandwich and since club sandwiches have bacon I asked him about the fact that he's Jewish. He said back in Ethiopia there's no bacon. He offered to pay for my ticket and to take me to visit Africa for two weeks sometime. He's got another four years until he retires and he's going to go back where his money will last longer. I asked him if his name is really David and he told me it's actually "Emeha" which is pronounced much like "Yamaha". I offered to pay for lunch but David insisted on picking up the tab. 
            I took a siesta at 14:00 and slept fifteen minutes longer than usual. When I got up I wanted to post my blog but my screen was black. The monitor "on" light was on and it was clearly working because the "No signal" sign came up but nothing from my computer appeared. I tried "control, alt, delete" several times but nothing happened. Finally I had to shut it down manually and start it up again. I was worried that Windows would go through a repair process as it sometimes does when I just shut down cold but it started and everything came back on. 
            I took a bike ride and while climbing Brock a very fit young woman passed me easily on the hill. Behind her was a very muscular man who looked like he was having a hard time keeping up with her but his ego was managing it anyway. They stayed well ahead of me until we were on the bike path but then I passed them with a quicker take off after a light changed. I weighed 89.4 kilos when I got home. 
            I worked on my poem series "My Blood In A Bug." 
            I imported the video that I'd cropped yesterday into my "Instructions For Electroshock Therapy" video project, but when I tried to play the video it was sped up and so was the main project. Somehow I got the main project back to normal speed but the cropped video was still fast. I could open it in VLC Media Player and slow it down to watch but that didn't permanently change the file. I found an option for changing it internally just like when I'd cropped it but all of my videos are now cropped and I can't figure out how to undo it. I don't want to slow down one fast video and have everything else in slow motion. 
            Last week I bought a rainbow trout from Freshco and the package said it was dressed. I thought that meant "deboned" but that wasn't the case. I wasted a lot of fish trying to cut out the parts with the bones. I put butter and dill on what I had left and roasted it in the oven. Despite what I'd thrown away there was plenty for one meal. I had it with a beer while watching two episodes of Gomer Pyle. 
            In the first story Carter is riding with some other sergeants and comes across a pretty woman whose car has broken down. He tells his friends to drive on and he approaches the woman to try to fix her car. She says once it's fixed she'll take him back to her place. But just then Gomer happens to be walking by as he's hitchhiking into town. Gomer finds the problem right away and says it's strange because the cap doesn't tend to come off a spark plug accidentally. Betty Ann has a small sports car with only room for two people and since Gomer fixed it she gives him a ride and leaves Carter by the side of the road. Betty Ann takes Gomer to her place where she lives with her sweet mother who insists that Gomer call her "Mom." She wants to fix Gomer a nice dinner but is out of cooking sherry. She says she'll write a cheque and put it in an envelope for Gomer to give to the liquor store clerk. The cheque is for more than the cost of the sherry and so he'll also put cash in the bag. But Gomer doesn't know that her "cheque" is actually a note reading "This is a stickup. My buddy is covering you from outside. Put all your money and one bottle of sherry in a bag." Betty Ann drives Gomer to the liquor store while he unwittingly robs it. The next time he visits the women it happens again. The papers begin reporting on the Marine Bandit. Carter decides he still wants to make time with Betty Ann and so he follows Gomer and when Betty Ann drives Gomer to the next liquor store he tells Gomer he didn't make his bed properly so he orders him back to the base. Carter takes over and also unwittingly robs a liquor store. But back at the women's home he hears on the radio about the robbery and just as the details are reported and he starts to figure it out, there is a gun pointed at his face. Next we see Carter tied up and gagged. The women are about to leave town when Gomer arrives with the police. Gomer explains that he heard the report on the radio and figured it out. 
            Betty Ann was played by Kathie Browne, who made her first TV appearance on Gunsmoke in 1955. Her first film was "Murder By Contract" in 1958. She was a regular on "Hondo" and she appeared as Deela the Scalosian who falls for Captain Kirk on the Star Trek episode "Wink of an Eye." She was married to Darren McGavin for 34 years until she died. 



            In the second story Carter wants to be made sergeant of the week but it hasn't happened and he blames his men. He rides them harder than usual but Gomer has a cold. Carter makes Gomer work even harder but then Gomer goes to sick bay and is told to spend the day in bed. Carter doesn't believe it and calls the doctor. But meanwhile the doctor has diagnosed an old Marine horse as being on his last legs. At the time that Carter calls there are two calls for the doctor. One is from the sergeant who cares for the horse and the other from Sergeant Carter. The nurse gets the two mixed up and the doctor tells Carter that the patient will be dying soon and Carter thinks he means Gomer. Carter goes out of his way to make Gomer's last days comfortable. According to the doctor's instructions he brings him an apple, a cube of sugar and he brushes his hair. He tells Gomer to listen to the radio and he does so with earphones. But when he sees Gomer jerking to the music in bed he thinks he's having death convulsions. He runs to the doctor who hands Carter a pill the size of a golf ball to give him. Soon Carter realizes the mix up. He is about to give Gomer hell when he is called to an office where he is awarded the Sergeant of the Week award because of his compassion for animals. He also gets Gomer's cold. 
            Later I figured out how return the video cropping settings to normal so it may be possible to fix the video speed of one video and then return the rest to normal in the same way. I'll try it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment