Saturday 21 August 2021

Tige Andrews


            On Friday morning before hitting the sack at around 0:30 I did my usual check for bedbugs along the wall and baseboards but found none. After getting up to pee at 2:30 I did a quick look again because if there are any it tends to be that I could catch them just after feeding, but there were none again. Counting the sick one I dug out of the wall yesterday that makes six that I've found in the last week. 
            I worked on revising my translation of "La java des chaussettes à clous" (The Tap dance of the Hobnail Boots) by Boris Vian and came up with a time related rhyme for "ridicule": "From New Years right into Yule / ignorant of ridicule / they bring to the streets a school / that counsels the simplest of sense." 
            I worked out the chords for the verses and choruses of "Bébé Polaroid" by Serge Gainsbourg, and that leaves me pretty much with just the bridge to figure out. 
            During song practice I used my electric guitar strap on my acoustic with the shoulder strap to keep it from slipping and with the shoe lace to extend it so it's long enough. It worked out great and ended most of the slipping of the strap on my shoulder and causing changes up and down of the angle of the neck while I play. Plus when the neck doesn't slip I can play better because I can hit the bar chords on the frontiers of the neck more accurately. 
            I weighed 88.7 kilos before breakfast. 
            At 12:19 I scraped some more of the black from the bottom of my square baking pan. If I hadn't done a full shave and showered beforehand I probably would have had time to finish it. 
            I weighed 88.8 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Yonge and Bloor and I weighed 88.9 kilos when I got home. 
            I worked on my poem series "My Blood In A Bug." 
            In my Movie Maker project of creating a video for my song "Instructions For Electroshoc k Therapy" I synchronized the concert video and the studio audio for the first line of the second verse when I sing "Undress the patient and then lay them down just like a sacrifice." But the camera is not on me until I sing "like a sacrifice" and so I need to find some video to insert that will fit the line. I watched the rest of the 1926 Japanese silent film "Kurutta Ippeji" (A Page Of Madness) and although there are plenty of scenes I could use later on there's nothing to match that line. I'll have to do a search online and see what I can find. 
            I worked on making the graffiti clearer on another brick in my "Anti Gravity's Rainbow" photo.
            I had a potato with gravy and two chicken drumsticks while watching two episodes of Gomer Pyle. Both of these stories take place while the Marines are on a Navy ship to participate in war manoeuvres. In the first story when Gomer ships out he takes with him a stray cat that he's been taking care of because he's just discovered she's pregnant. The chief petty officer on the ship has a serious issue with contraband and when he discovers that Lombardi has a turtle he tosses it overboard. Gomer is worried he'd do the same to his cat. Up until this point Carter has been threatening to throw the cat overboard himself but he takes issue with the Chief Petty Officer's attitude. However after a while Carter tells Gomer he has no choice but to turn the cat in. However when Gomer looks for the cat she's gone. Then they see the CPO carrying a sack and tossing it overboard. Gomer jumps in after it and brings it back only to discover that the contents were some romance magazines the CPO was trying to get rid of. Then the CPO finds the cat and they all think she's a goner but on hearing she's pregnant he takes her to sick bay. 
            In the second story Carter and three men including Gomer are supposed to get into a rubber raft to reconoiter an island in their games. But after they are lowered from the ship to the raft, Gomer tries to attach his bayonet and punctures the raft. They are lowered into a second raft but then Gomer accidentally sets off his flare gun. They are given one last chance and Carter decides to try to row away without Gomer. But Gomer jumps into the raft from the ship and goes right through it. Carter begs for another raft and this time Gomer is replaced but after the raft has rowed away the CPO decides to play a trick on Carter. He hands Gomer a note which he says is a top secret message for Carter and tells Gomer to swim to the raft. Carter reads it and then tells Gomer to swim back and tell the CPO to drop dead. But while Gomer is swimming back to the ship he runs against the periscope of the "enemy" sub in the war games. Gomer is hanging on and blocking the sub's view, allowing Carter and his men to capture the sub and become heroes of the war games. 
            The CPO was played by Tige Andrews who played the street singer in a 1955 off Broadway production of The Three Penny Opera starring Lotte Lenya. In the Star Trek episode Friday's Child he played Kras, the first Klingon to die in the series. He co-starred in "The Mod Squad" and "The Detectives". He recorded two singles: "Keep America Beautiful" and "The Mod Father." He was a close friend of Telly Savalas and guest starred several times on "Kojak." He retired from acting in the 90s after having played more than a hundred roles.



No comments:

Post a Comment