Thursday 3 March 2022

March 3, 1992: I learned that a joint-owner can't evict a tenant on the grounds of wanting to live in their place


Thirty years ago today 

            On Shrove Tuesday I got up around 11:00 and made pancakes with too many eggs. 
            I went to my appointment with the new lawyer who deals with landlord-tenant issues. I found out that since Mark was only a joint owner, he couldn’t evict me to take my apartment for his own use. But he could evict me for being late with the rent. She said for me to wait until I got a court order. 
            On my way home I bought some vanilla Haagen Daz to go on top of the brownies that I already had. 
            My lawyer in the custody case called to tell me that Nancy’s lawyer would not be showing up in court on Wednesday because of a death in her family. He said it would probably be remanded and asked if I wanted to come in anyway. I called Nancy to find out that she wouldn’t be going and then I called the lawyer back to tell him that I wouldn’t be coming either. 
            I told Nancy that I wanted to see my daughter. 
            I called André at Speedy to find out if there was any work at the Torman warehouse. He offered me a job in Rexdale for Wednesday at 7:00 but I decided not to take it and told him it was because of the distance. But my main reason was that I wanted to spend the day with my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment