Thursday 31 March 2022

The First Computer Virus


            On Wednesday morning I finished working out the chords for “L’ethylique” (Ethanolaholic) by Serge Gainsbourg. I ran through the song in French and English and then uploaded it to Christian’s Translations. I started the editing process to prepare it for blog publication and I should have it finished on Thursday. 
            I weighed 85.7 kilos before breakfast. 
            I worked a bit on my essay, but I had a hard time staying awake. 
            I weighed 87 kilos before lunch. I had the usual salad of avocados, tomatoes, scallions, and lemon juice. One more lunch like this before I break my fast on Friday. 
            When I got up from my siesta it was raining and so instead of getting ready for a bike ride I sat down to work on my blog. A few minutes later the rain had stopped, but it looked like it might start again and besides, I thought it would be an unpleasant ride on a grey day, so I decided to stay home anyway. 
            I spent a couple of hours on my essay. 
            For dinner, I had the usual salad of avocados, tomatoes, cucumber, scallions, and lemon juice with a glass of Garden Cocktail while watching an episode of Astro Boy. 
            In this story, a universal holiday has been declared as a day of rest for all robots. It was organized by a robot named Bigshot Cannon, who is the first robot union leader. But while Cannon is driving through the quiet streets he sees that a factory is still in operation and goes in to demand that the boss shut it down. The boss doesn’t like that and wants to find a way to get back at Cannon. Just then a little man named Professor I.Q. Plenty arrives and offers a solution. He says he has a machine that will make every machine behave dysfunctionally. He will rent it out for $50 million. They agree to pay reluctantly. Then Plenty goes to Dr. Elefun and offers to not use the machine for $80 million but Elefun can’t afford it. Plenty will turn the machine on at noon. Astro Boy suggests to Elefun that he take him apart from so he is not affected by the machine and later put him together so he can stop it. So he does. The machine is turned on and causes disfunction to all the machines in the world. The people who paid Plenty want him to stop but he refuses. The machine stops for two minutes every two hours and so when it stops Elefun quickly puts Astro Boy together and sends him to destroy the machine. It’s on the 900th floor of the building and Plenty has set several traps that Astro Boy must avoid or break through. Finally at the last second Astro Boy destroys the machine. Plenty says he’s sorry and won’t invent anything again but as he is being taken away he breaks his handcuffs. He says he will invent better handcuffs. 
            After dinner, my new computer suddenly started behaving as slowly as the old one. Up until then, everything I'd clicked opened almost instantly but tonight it began to stall. I restarted and Windows did updates and so it took more than half an hour but it was still slow after it started again. Suddenly a popup for something called Adaware appeared and wanted me to click “Finish” to complete updates. There was no way to click the alternative button so I thought it was suspicious and so I tried to remove it in Settings but it didn’t appear on the list. I closed it down in the task manager. Then I went to Windows security and saw it had found two unwanted apps that both got in through BitTorrent. It said they were low risk but I clicked to remove them, hoping that would help. It’s frustrating to buy a new computer and then to have it act like the old one was acting when you decided to replace it. 
            Later in Settings, I found Adaware under the name Web Companion and deleted it. I don’t know where it came from. Maybe Tom already had it on my computer when I bought it from him or maybe Windows put it on or maybe it snuck on somehow. When I look it up, Adaware is a legitimate but dated anti-virus software. I restarted before going to bed and had a hell of a time getting my monitor and the computer back working together again.

No comments:

Post a Comment