Friday 25 November 2022

Amadee Chabot


            On Thursday morning I finished working out the chords for "Con c'est con ces conséquences" (I Can't Stand These Consequences) by Serge Gainsbourg. I just have to position them on the final verse and I should have the song uploaded to my Christian's Translations blog tomorrow. 
            I weighed 85.1 kilos before breakfast. 
            I was getting ready to take my laundry to wash and dry when the landlord came in. It had been 24 days since he'd finally agreed to call pest control after six months of me reminding him, but now he once again refused. He again accused me of being the cause of the bedbugs. When I reminded him that David also has bedbugs on the third floor he dismissed his situation as similar to mine and also caused by him. The landlord pointed at Benji's and Shankar's doors and said they don't have bedbugs. Then he said that if I let him put in new windows in my apartment he would call pest control. Somehow he has the idea that bedbugs are coming in through the window. 
            While my laundry was in the wash I called Toronto Public Health. I was transferred to the bylaw inspectors at 311. I told a person my situation. While my laundry was in the dryer I got a call from an inspector named J. Forde who said he might come to look at my place next week. He said the landlord claims that Orkin says that I don't prepare my place properly. He also claimed that my apartment is unsanitary. He gave me his email and told me to write the landlord a letter making a formal complaint to him and send a carbon copy to him. 
            I weighed 84.3 kilos before lunch. In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            When I got home I wrote the email to my landlord: 

            In the last six months I have called you three times and additionally reminded you every month in my e-transfers that there is a bedbug problem in your building at 1404 Queen Street West. During the first two of the above-mentioned phone calls you refused to have my apartment treated for bedbugs and blamed me for having them. When I last called you on October 31 and asked you to call pest control you said that you would call them. But more than three weeks went by without a notification of an appointment with a pest control technician. When I spoke with you in person today you again refused to call pest control and again blamed me. You said you would only call pest control after changing my windows. I have no windows in my bedroom and besides that, bedbugs do not come in through windows. Since other tenants in the building have bedbugs, the issue is not about the physical features of my apartment. Pooran Benjamin, my next-door neighbour in unit 4 told me today that he saw bedbugs in his place this morning. When I asked him why he didn't tell you about them he said because you would have accused him the way you accuse me. 
            Last week my upstairs neighbour David also told me that he has seen bedbugs and wants his place treated. Chances are every tenant in the building has bedbugs but is afraid to tell you because of your accusatory attitude. 
            Regarding your accusations that I do not prepare my place properly for bedbug treatment, that is false. I have written records of every Orkin visit and never once has the technician told me I did not adequately prepare my apartment. 
            Regarding your accusations that my apartment is unsanitary, that is also false. I welcome an inspection from the city of Toronto at any time. 
            I spoke today with City inspector J. Forde and I am sending him a copy of this email. 
            Please do your duty as a landlord and arrange for pest control to regularly treat our apartments until there are no more bedbugs. 
            I weighed 84.1 kilos at 17:45. That's the lightest I've been at that time in several months.
            I had a potato with gravy and my last two chicken drumsticks with a beer while watching season 2, episode 19 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            Jethro is continuing to dig the root cellar that Lafe Crick started. Granny wants it to store her vegetables and her old and stinky goat cheese, but she also wants a place to be by herself because Elly's pets are crowding her out of the kitchen. But when she and Jed go to check on the cellar it turns out that Jethro has struck oil just like Jed did back in Tennessee. Jed says, "I need more oil like Custer needed more Indians" and proceeds to fill up the hole. Jethro digs another one and the same thing happens.
            Meanwhile Drysdale has learned that the Clampetts are digging holes and is worried that Jed wants to take his money out of his bank and bury it. 
            At the same time we learn of an upcoming beauty contest for Queen of Beverly Hills to celebrate the city's fiftieth anniversary. The Commerce Bank's entry is Candy Davis. Mrs. Drysdale wants Elly May to enter the contest because the winner gets a trip around the world. She thinks that way she will be rid of the Clampetts for a while. 
            Drysdale convinces Granny that a bank vault is better than a hole in the ground, then she shocks him with some baskets of gourds and some stinky goat cheese for him to put in the vault. 
            Jane convinces Jed to enter Elly in the race for queen but he thinks it's a running race. Granny wants to become queen because there are a lot of changes she'd make so she practices running against Elly, but loses every time. Drysdale tries to convince Candy to back out so Elly can win but she has a date with the judge. 
            The head judge is actor Bob Cummings. Drysdale announces that Candy dropped out but that she's getting a trip around the world anyway. Her replacement is Jane Hathaway in a bathing suit. Bob is sure he's going to pick Elly for queen until she starts talking about taking her pet skunk with her on the trip around the world. Bob instead picks one of his co-judges, Karen Crandle. She is sitting there in a conservative hat and wearing glasses but she takes them off and is a gorgeous blonde. 
            Karen Crandle was played by Amadee Chabot, who became Miss California the year this episode was broadcast, and this was her acting debut. She went on to win Miss USA and represent her country in the Miss World beauty contest. She toured Southeast Asia with Bob Hope entertaining US troops. She moved to Mexico where she made 24 films between 1966 and 1968. She became very popular there and was often used when they wanted a stereotypical blonde Hollywood actress for a movie. She is now a very successful real estate agent in California. 




            

            I searched for bedbugs and found none.


No comments:

Post a Comment