Thursday 3 November 2022

Herbert Rudley


            On Wednesday morning I finished posting my translation of "Fuir le bonheur de peur qu'il ne se sauve" (I Flee Pleasure for Fear of its Removal) by Serge Gainsbourg. I listened once to his song "Partie perdue" (Leaving Losing) and I'll start memorizing it tomorrow. 
            I weighed 85.3 kilos before breakfast. 
            I left for English in the World class at 10:20. 
            As I was locking my bike in front of the Earth Sciences building the beautiful Tiana gave me a friendly hello. 
            There was no class in the room before ours. 
            "Someone made a mistake" is maybe still in the passive voice. 
            Some say to think of creoles as a language is perpetuating racism. 
            The way we organize a sentence can prioritize or deprioritize. 
            Be conscientious of conjunctions. 
            Be aware of the connectors "and" and "but". 
            Which clause is the main clause and how does it relate to the clause before?
            Lilian Allen uses parallelism. When we organize things in a list think of what is last. Is it bigger to small? Abstract to personal? Parallels may not be in common. Parallel in Lilian Allen's "Rub a Dub in a Regent Park": Pam, Michael Smith, Bob Marley. 
            Lilian Allen was rejected by The League of Canadian Poets in 1984 because she was a spoken word poet who had not appeared in print. 
            Chuanqi said he thought her poem was a sonnet because of its use of anaphora. 
            I said her repetition of the word "forget" is ironic because she wants the Jamaican community of Regent Park to remember its history. I said the lists of cultural references like Marley and her use of a heavy Jamaican accent is attempting to draw the Jamaican population into a sense of community. 
            A cross creole as first language is a language. Contact between non-standard European languages. 
            Pidgin is used for brief contact and economic efficiency. 
            There is debate over the structure of creoles being from Africa or Scotland. 
            I stopped at Freshco on the way home where the grapes were too soft so I bought a bag of oranges. I also got a loaf of Bavarian sandwich bread, a bag of naan, and a jug of lemonade. 
            I weighed 84.5 kilos before lunch. That's the lightest I've been at that time in ten days but I did have a light breakfast. 
            I weighed 85.5 kilos at 17:10. That's the heaviest I've been at that time in 53 days, but it's probably because I had a bowl of cereal on top of my regular lunch of saltines with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of lemonade. 
            I wrote my Exit Slip survey for today's class. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 19:17. 
            I did some more work on my Grendel essay. Grendel was clearly targeting the thanes (barons) of the king and sought them out when they moved further away from the mead hall. Since he probably could have easily killed the king, the fact that he didn't target him suggests that he was waging psychological warfare against the ruler by targeting those closest to him but never the monarch. 
            I made pizza on naan with Bolognese sauce and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching episode 33 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            Pearl has been away from the show for the last few episodes. It was briefly mentioned in the previous story that Pearl was back in Tennessee trying to get her daughter Jethrine married off. She returns in this episode and says that Jethrine rejected the marriage Pearl had arranged for her and eloped with Jazzbo Depew. 
            Then Pearl's son Jethro returns home from the fifth grade and says that he can't go back to school until he's seen a doctor and gotten a health certificate. The Clampetts don't know any doctors in Beverly Hills since Granny has potions for every ailment. Jethro says that the Drysdale's maid Marie has been seeing a Dr. Twombly for seven years and so they send Jethro to him. 
            But Twombly turns out to be a psychiatrist. He has Jethro lie down on the couch and almost immediately he falls asleep. After having been asked many questions about his mother, Jethro goes home and tells her the doctor wants to meet her. Pearl thinks the doctor is courting her and so she puts on her blond wig and her tight Mae West dress and goes over there. But when Twombly tries to get Pearl to lie down on the couch she thinks he's being forward and leaves. 
            Then Jed comes to confront Twombly about his forwardness with his cousin and he insists that he come to the house to apologize. Twombly is interested in meeting Jethro's family and so he agrees. At the house, Granny challenges the doctor with several medical questions to prove she's more qualified to treat the sick than he is. Pearl appears dressed in her "glamour" get-up and tells Twombly if he wants to court her properly they can go in the parlour. When he hears that Elly is going to bring her jaguar into the house he thinks she means a car and he runs away. 
            Eugene Twombly was played by Herbert Rudley, who quit university after his second year when he won a scholarship with Eva Le Gallienne's Civic Repertory Theatre. He made his stage debut in 1928. His Broadway debut was in 1931 with "Did I Say No". After appearing in "Abe Lincoln in Illinois" in 1940 he repeated the role in the film version. He played the husband of Eve Arden's character on the sitcom "The Mothers in Law". He co-wrote the play "Adam Ate the Apple". He co-starred in "The Seventh Cross", "A Walk in the Sun", "The Black Sheep", and he played Ira Gershwin in "Rhapsody in Blue". On TV he co-starred in "The Californians" and "Border Patrol". He also owned and operated a small gift shop in Marina del Rey. 
            I searched the door, the walls and the baseboards for bedbugs and didn't find any but then found one on my bed when I was about to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment