Sunday 20 November 2022

Arthur Gould-Porter


            On Saturday morning I memorized the first verse of "J'ai pas d'regret" (I've No Regrets) by Boris Vian and "Con c'est con ces conséquences" (I Can't Stand These Consequences) by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            At around 7:00 a guy with a cherry picker started fixing the roof above my window. 
            I weighed 84.9 kilos before breakfast, which is the lightest I've been in the morning in about a month. 
            In the late morning I went to No Frills where the only choices of grapes were soft red and black ones, or the green kind that no matter how much I wash them they make my hands reek of insecticide. I got a crate of clementines, some bananas, a pack of three chicken legs, a tub of margarine, a box of Earl Grey tea, a small container of skyr, and an extra-large reusable shopping bag. 
            I weighed 85.2 kilos before lunch. I had saltines with seven-year-old cheddar and a glass of limeade. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. I turned my flashers on at Queen and John on my way back. 
            I weighed 84.7 kilos at 17:20. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 17:54. 
            I worked for a couple of hours on my Chiac essay. Often when choosing between a French or English word to use, a Chiac speaker will pick the one with fewer syllables. 
            I made two ground chicken patties and grilled them in the oven. I had the biggest one as a burger on Bavarian sandwich bread with ketchup, maple barbecue sauce, salsa, Dijon and sliced dill pickle. I had it with a beer while watching season 2, episode 14 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            It's Christmas morning and the Clampetts come down the stairs to see that Milburn Drysdale and Jane Hathaway have played Santa Clause. There's a big, beautiful tree with artificial snow that confuses Granny and lots of presents under the tree. Elly received a hair dryer from Jane but she thought it was a rain hat. Both Elly and Jethro get scuba gear, Granny gets a TV set that she thinks is a washing machine, and Jed gets a yacht. Inside the boat is a young chimpanzee in a sailor's suit. Jed and Granny think it's a little foreign sailor but Elly recognizes him as a chimpanzee and names him Skipper.
            Drysdale's strategy is to get Jed hooked on the ocean so he won't think of going back to Tennessee. The Clampetts go looking for a place to sail the boat but the joke is that there is no place to sail in Los Angeles. They see lots of boats on wheels but none in water and they conclude that sailing is done on wheels in California. They could have driven to Santa Monica in half an hour and found a marina. 
            The Clampetts also have presents for Mildred Drysdale. They'd heard she wanted a full-length mink so they got her the largest live mink they could find. But it gets away. Mildred thinks they got her a diamond and she is crawling in the dirt on her hands and knees looking for it. Granny also gives Mildred her special gift pack containing deviled hawk eggs, pickled crow gizzards, possum sausages, candied cat fish, and owl burgers. 
            The Drysdales' butler Ravenswood was played by Arthur Gould-Porter, who was born and raised in Cornwall, England. He moved to the United States in his twenties and began to act in the theatre to good reviews. He appeared on Broadway throughout the 1930s and in the 1940s started acting in films. In the 1950s he began branching into TV work. He appeared in eight episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. He had a long and busy career but most of his work was in supporting rather than co-starring roles. 
            I searched for bedbugs and dug one out of the crack at the upper right corner of the old exit door at the head of my bed, where I've found a few before.

No comments:

Post a Comment