Wednesday 23 November 2022

Muriel Landers


            On Tuesday morning I skipped French memorizations and cut my song practice short so I could get started sooner on my presentation which has to be handed in at midnight. 
            I weighed 85.1 kilos before breakfast. 
            I'd been harvesting information and ideas that might work for a presentation from 33 pages of essay notes and putting them in into a Chiac Presentation document. I ended up with a four-page document that took me eight minutes to read and so since the four page doc might be useful for my essay, I kept that and copied it into a Chiac Presentation 2 document, which I shaved down to two pages. Then I organized it into a presentation. 
            I took a siesta from 12:00 to 13:00. 
            I weighed 84.1 kilos before lunch. 
            I put the text of my presentation into an eleven-page Power Point and added some photos. 
            I weighed 84.2 kilos at 17:15. 
            At 18:00 I logged onto Zoom for the Medieval Literature lecture. 
            Professor Walton suggests we use paradoxes to shape thesis statements. Our final essay is due December 13 and she can be generous with extensions up to certain point, but not past when she is due to post our grades. Check if your conclusion makes a better thesis statement. Our grade is based on our argument. We all need to do a better job quoting text and if we do that we'll get a better mark. Short paragraphs stand out and so if you use one it has to really say something. 
            Alex has objects from the Royal Ontario Museum to show us. There are research collections and teaching collections and she's brought some things from a teaching collection. 
            Pilgrim badges. A scallop badge from the shrine of the apostle St James the Great on the part of the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage trail that is on the coast of Portugal. If one does a pilgrimage there are local cults of saints or across countries and the badge its like a souvenir to prove you have been there. Some have hooks for wearing. Some believe there is power imbued by the saint in the badge. 
            The patron saint of the internet is St. Isidore of Seville. He created a school that became a model for early universities. 
            I asked if Chaucer's pilgrims would have gotten badges. The professor said there would have definitely been Canterbury badges. 


            One could make a pilgrimage to a place that is associated with a saint or visit a relic. There are multiple places for the head of John Baptist. 
            There are lots of Chester plays. 
            The horse is how the wealthy travel. People with horses were sent on pilgrimages and roped into crusading. The armoured horse was the tank of the Middle Ages. 
            Our TA Alex is working on a bronzes project. She's on the second floor of the ROM. There's the Life in Crisis gallery, the hands-on Biodiversity and Discovery gallery. They create discovery boxes on medieval brass inlays for church floors. She is trying to find stories for women in the brasses beyond their husbands. Lace indicates international trade. 
            I said there is a similar mood to the beginning of the York play on the Final Judgement and the Chester play of Noah's flood. 

            God's opening speech in the York Last Judgement: 

            When I first all this world had wrought - Wood and wind, and waters wan - Each kind of thing that now is aught, It seemed full well what I did then. When they were made, "It's good," I thought; Then in my likeness I made man, - And man to grieve me tarried not; Therefore I rue that I the world began. 

            God's opening speech in the Chester Noah play: 
            I, God, that all the world have wrought Heaven and Earth, and all of nought, I see my people, in deed and thought, Are foully set in sin. My ghost shall not lodge in any man That through fleshly liking is my fone, But till six score years be gone To look if they will blynne. Man that I made I will destroy, Beast, worm, and fowl to fly, For on earth they me annoy, The folk that is thereon. For it harms me so hurtfully The malice now that can multiply, That sore it grieveth me inwardly, That ever I made man.
     
            Noah's wife's attitude is relatable. The animals lists form patterns. Lists were meaningful in structure. Lists of clean and unclean. Ritual prohibitions from Mediterranean cultures. Lisa Kiser's research on the list of animals in the Chester play of Noah's flood. 
            Shem's speech starts with the lion and leopard, which are royal animals. Horses were also important. Then there are economic drivers like goats and camels. Deer are hunted by royals. Dogs and cats keep food safe from mice. Noah's wife's list is chaotic and disrupting. Her list is an entertainment list of animals for fairs. 
            Richard says ferrets were used in a pants game. One would put a ferret down one's pants and see how long one could stand it. Sexual. 
            Squirrels were used to trap rabbits for women wanting their fur. Monkeys were just pets. Shem's wife was maybe opposing Noah's wife. The alliterated birds list is cacophonous. 
            It was an insult calling a man a fox or hare. The fox implied extramarital affairs and hares implied the man was frightened. But if you call me a hare you have to prove it and could be punished for making the accusation. 
            I say if Noah's wife doesn't want to go on the boat what does it say about her list of animals?
            Her friends lives are at stake. 
            The professor mentioned a sitcom story that is told from different perspectives. She says it has the same as tone of this play and it's called "Kevin can fuck himself". 
            Noah's wife is given dignity although misruly. 
            The wagon was probably shaped like an ark and the audience would be the gossips. 
            The play creates conflicted sympathies. 
            I had a potato with gravy and two chicken drumsticks while watching season 2, episode 17 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            In this story Lafe Crick, one of Jed's old neighbours from the hills of Tennessee comes to visit Jed. He has brought his daughter Essiebelle because he says that Jethro proposed to her in letters that he wrote last summer after she won a beauty contest. Lafe has the letters but doesn't want to show them to Jed. 
            When Jethro comes home he remembers writing letters to Essiebelle but not love letters. But he remembers her to be pretty and agrees to marry her. The Clampetts go downtown to get a diamond ring for Essiebelle. 
            Meanwhile Lafe brings Essiebelle to Jed's house. She tells her father that she's in love with big Mel Pratt and not Jethro. 
            After the Clampetts get back to the house the Beverly Caterers van pulls up driven by Marian Billington. Jed, Granny, and Elly May still think her name is Beverly Caterers. She says she's there for her regular date with Jethro. Jethro addresses her as Marian and tells Jed that every day they drive to the hills and watch the sunset, then they climb into the back of the van and eat all the food that's left. Jed tells him if he's marrying Essiebelle he can't go on a date alone with Marian. Jethro asks Marian if Essiebelle can come along. She gets mad and leaves. But then Jethro sees Essiebelle and she has gained a lot of weight since he saw her last. Jethro goes running after Marian. 
           Jed observes that Essiebelle is not upset at all because she loves Mel Pratt. 
           Lafe confronts Jethro about the love talk in the letters he wrote. It turns out that the "love" talk was starting the letters with "Dear Essiebelle." Jethro says if it's love talk he's in trouble with a lot of women and men. 
           It becomes clear that Lafe is just gold digging to get a piece of Jed's wealth. Jed tells Lafe he's going to give Jethro and Essiebelle his house for a wedding present. Lafe is excited until he finds out that Jed means his little shack back in Tennessee. Lafe asks is he's going to give them money. Jed takes a brand new penny to hang above the cabin door for good luck. Suddenly Lafe says he wants Essiebelle to marry Mel Pratt. 
            They have a wedding dance anyway and Marian is dancing with Jethro. Essiebelle gets to keep all the diamonds that Jed bought. 
            Essiebelle was played by Muriel Landers, who started out as a concert singer. She found it difficult to find normal acting parts because she was short and large, and that's what drove her to comedy. She appeared on The Frank Sinatra Show and caught the attention of Jack Benny, who invited her to appear on his show and in concert with him. She was Ray Bolger's nightclub partner. Her first movie was Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla. She was a regular on the short-lived TV version of Life With Luigi. She co-starred in The Three Stooges short "Sweet and Hot" and sang the song The Heat is On. She played Mildred Cosgrove on The Joey Bishop Show. She was in the cast of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In for a while. 



            After dinner I recorded my presentation on PowerPoint with sound and video. I fumbled at the beginning and restarted. It was ready around 22:00 but it took me ten minutes to find the place where I was supposed to upload it. Then it took half an hour for it to upload. After that I was supposed to copy a URL from My Media to paste into a place on the U of T Quercus website but I couldn't find it. At 23:30 I pasted it onto a discussion board and also sent the URL to Professor Percy in an email but she didn't get back to me before the midnight deadline. 
            https://youtu.be/ifP7bHF-wHw 
            I searched for bedbugs and found none.

No comments:

Post a Comment