Monday 21 November 2022

Henry Gibson


            On Sunday morning I memorized the chorus and the second and third verses of "Con c'est con ces conséquences" (I Can't Stand These Consequences) by Serge Gainsbourg. That's more than halfway through the song, so maybe I'll have the whole thing nailed down in a couple of days. 
            I weighed 85.2 kilos before breakfast. 
            I worked a bit on my Chiac essay. When an English noun is used in plural form, rather than putting an "s" sound on the end like we would in English, a Chiac speaker will use a French plural article as in "les punk". 
            I weighed 85.2 kilos before lunch. I had saltines with seven-year-old cheddar and a glass of limeade. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride and beforehand I put on an extra layer with a sweatshirt and an old pair of sweat pants. I didn't notice until Bloor and Euclid that I'd worn my Blundies instead of my Blondos. I had planned on wearing the warmer boots but I got so caught up in putting on the extra clothes that I forgot and grabbed the boots I was used to wearing. My feet started feeling slightly cold on the way home but didn't get uncomfortable until I was almost back in Parkdale. I didn't bother to turn my flashers on during my ride because it was a little brighter than yesterday. 
            I weighed 84.8 kilos at 17:15. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:08. 
            I worked on my Chiac essay for about two hours. "Mere" is naturally chosen over "mother" unless calling someone a "mother fucker". 
            I made pizza on a slice of Bavarian sandwich bread with Basilica sauce, a chicken burger sliced lengthwise, and seven-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 2, episode 15 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            Granny has been ignoring the kitchen since discovering that the Christmas gift she'd thought was a washing machine is really a TV set. She has become addicted to the adventures of the cowboy hero Quirt Manly and believes he is the greatest man around. He rides tall in the saddle, can shoot straighter and faster than anyone, and can take on fifty outlaws single handed with just his fists. When Jed watches the show he concludes that Quirt is the type of man that Elly May needs to tame her because she's getting wilder every day. Jed finds out from Jane Hathaway that Quirt Manly lives right there in Beverly Hills and that Milburn Drysdale can arrange for him to come and visit. 
            Quirt Manley drives up in a Cadillac convertible with steer horns on the front and pressing the horn makes the sound of a horse and gunshots. When he gets out of the car we see that he wears extremely high platform boots. Quirt is invited into the parlour to meet Elly May and while he's waiting he takes off his uncomfortable boots. When Granny brings Elly in to meet Quirt and he stands up, Granny runs away in shock because he's not the man she'd thought he was. 
            Later by the pool, when Elly and Quirt are alone, they get along fine. Quirt explains that all of the action and riding on his TV show is done by doubles and they only use him for close-ups of his face. He says his real name is Henry and he got the job because his father is the sponsor. What Quirt really likes to do is write poetry. 
            Meanwhile Quirt lets Jethro wear his cowboy hat and drive his car. As he's driving, the car fills up with beautiful women who keep jumping in because they think he's Quirt Manly. 
            Granny is so disillusioned that she chases Quirt away with her shotgun. That old woman is a psychopath. 
            Quirt Manly was played by Henry Gibson, who was born James Bateman and was a child star on stage. As a young man he was an intelligence officer for the US Air Force. He changed his name to Henry Gibson after Norwegian poet and playwright Henrik Gibson. He appeared several times as a comedic southern poet on Jack Paar's Tonight Show. His first film appearance was as a college student in The Nutty Professor. He became a star when he was cast as a regular on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In. His best-known film role was in Robert Altman's Nashville in which he played country singer Havin Hamilton and also wrote the song "For the Sake of the Children" for the movie. For that performance he was nominated for a Golden Globe and won the National Film Critics Award for Best Supporting Actor. He was the voice of Eleroo on the animated series The Wuzzles. His son Charles Gibson won two Oscars for visual effects. 







            I searched for bedbugs and found none.



No comments:

Post a Comment