Tuesday 15 November 2022

November 15, 1992: My daughter and I were playing a game with a wad of gum and Nancy said she was embarrassed to ride the subway with me


Thirty years ago today

             On Sunday morning I met Nancy and my daughter at Main Station. The train was full of families that probably didn't normally ride the subway. Nancy sat separately and the baby went to her after a couple of minutes. My daughter and I were playing a game with gum where one of us would chew it for a while and then pass it to the other. I was reaching out for the gum when Nancy threw it away. I was offended. We got off the train at St George and left through the Bedford exit. I was fixing my daughter's hat when Nancy insisted on doing it herself. I took offense again. Suddenly she burst into angry tears and began to rant about how embarrassed she was to be with me on the subway, when children say of me, "Mommy, look at that man!" I was hurt and gestured as if I were going to slap her face. We argued a little more and then she walked away. My daughter and I watched the Santa Clause parade. She waved at the people waving from the floats. Later we played in the park, and I bought her a patty. Nancy called later and I apologized for threatening to slap her. We discussed the matter and then she came over. We talked about astrology for a while

No comments:

Post a Comment