Saturday 20 May 2023

Bettina Brenna


            On Friday I finished working out the chords for "La Dernière valse" (The Final Waltz) by Boris Vian. Tomorrow I'll run through the song in French and then I might have to adjust my translation before singing and playing it in English. 
            I memorized the second verse of "Mon père un Catholique" (My Dad Was Catholic). It was fairly easy because up to that point it's mostly a list of alcoholic beverages from different parts of the world. 
            My Martin guitar was much easier to play this morning after getting it set up yesterday. There was less buzzing on the bar chords. 
            I weighed 85.1 kilos before breakfast. 
            I searched for guitar straps online and the only company that seems to have what I want is a leather crafter called Ochre. Their website says they do their work in Toronto but there is no address. I emailed them to see about coming to look at the strap. They got back to me to say they don't have a store and only ship their products through online orders. That makes no sense to me. I responded with something like, "Why would I spend that kind of money for something I can't see in person and touch first?" 
            I took my old Epi acoustic to L'il Demon Guitars. Gian was late and so I had to wait outside for a few minutes. The guitar is in bad shape but it has sentimental value because it's my first performance guitar. He said it needs a lot of work to make it playable and would cost about $300. I said okay and he said it would take a few weeks. I said I wouldn't bug him about it for two months. I reminded him that he'd originally said the Kramer would take a week but it took nineteen days. He got kind of defensive. I assured him I wasn't complaining but just calculating. He promised it wouldn't take a month. 
            I weighed 84.7 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 84.3 kilos at 17:15, which is the lightest I've been at that time in twenty-seven days. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:41. 
            I reviewed the videos of me singing "Baby Bop" and "Dance to Baby Pop" from June 29 to July 7. "Baby Pop" on June 29 was pretty good and so was July 5. It's harder to screw up this song because there are no bar chords. July 3 was also pretty good but there was mild traffic noise. "Dance to Baby Pop" on July 2 was pretty good but there was a bit of shushing from traffic at the end. July 6 was pretty good but the couch had clothes on it behind me and so the video looked cluttered. 
            In the Movie Maker project for creating a video of my song "Instructions for Electroshock Therapy" I shaved off some of the concert video to synchronize it with the studio audio for my line "refer to current literature". I wasn't quite able to line them up before dinner. 
            I made gravy from yesterday's steak drippings and had some with a potato and the last T-bone steak while watching season 8, episodes 20 and 21 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            These stories are part of the story arc that began with Shorty proposing to Elverna and continues with Shorty repeatedly trying to escape. 
            In the first story Shorty has gone missing from the Clampett mansion. Jed uses Duke the bloodhound to track Shorty to the Commerce Bank where he has locked himself into the secretarial pool. Jed and Shad bring him back and assign Jethro to guard the front door. But then both Shorty and Jethro are gone. Jed finds them both at the secretarial pool along with the guard that Drysdale posted. Shad locks a cow bell around Shorty's neck. With the help of Jane Hathaway Jed and Shad try to trick Shorty with a photo of a bathing beauty with Elverna's head on top. Shorty gets very excited when he sees it and goes to invite Elverna to go swimming with him. Elly May lends Elverna a bikini but when Shorty sees her he knows she's not the one in the picture. Shorty disappears again but they think he's in the house because they hear the bell. But then Jethro walks in wearing it. Shorty told him it's a girl magnet. Jed and Shorty don't need Duke to know that Shorty has returned to the secretarial pool. This time he's barricaded it and so Drysdale calls the police. Finally Jed talks to Shorty with a megaphone and reminds him that they always promised to share. So Shorty invites everyone else in for a party and Drysdale turns it into a publicity stunt for his bank. 
            In the second story Shorty and Elverna's wedding is scheduled for tomorrow at the Clampett mansion. Until then they have Shorty locked in a cage outside the house. Jethro tells Shorty he's too smart to be tricked into letting him out. Shorty says he knows that but he'd sure like to look at Jethro's brain. Jethro asks how he could look at it. Shorty says by looking in his ear. So Jethro opens up the cage and comes in to have his brain looked at. While Jethro is distracted Shorty locks Jethro in and escapes again. Shorty goes back to the Commerce Bank secretarial pool but Drysdale deputizes Gloria and offers her a reward for Shorty's capture. She needs the money so she doesn't give in to Shorty's charms and captures him. Shorty is taken for a wedding rehearsal while handcuffed to Jethro. But when they leave the room for another rehearsal Jethro walks back in with Bessie the chimp handcuffed to him. Jed fetches Shorty back from the secretarial pool and he is put back in the cage. Elvira brings Shorty a whole pot-roast, which Shorty uses to tempt Jethro back in the cage so he can escape again. Shorty goes back to the secretarial pool. Gloria says she won't capture him unless Drysdale tells her what her reward will be. Drysdale promises her fifty but he means he'll give her a birthday cake when she turns fifty. Gloria captures Shorty and is sitting in Drysdale's office handcuffed to him when Drysdale calls Jed and suggests they hold the wedding in his office. He's already sent for the judge. Drysdale leaves Shorty and Gloria alone in his office and they have one last dance. Drysdale meets Jed and Elverna outside his office and says Judge Marshal will be along shortly. But then the judge steps out of Drysdale's office where he says he's already married the happy couple. Shorty and Gloria are now married. They all go in and find Shorty and Gloria kissing. Jed reminds Shorty that the code of the hills rules that since he's promised to Elverna he has to annul his marriage to Gloria. Shorty stops kissing Gloria long enough to say he'll have it annulled tomorrow. Friday at the latest. 
            Gloria was played by Bettina Brenna, who graduated from UCLA with a degree in theatre. She was a Las Vegas showgirl before she began acting professionally. The Beverly Hillbillies was her first screen performance. She played a Ziegfeld girl in the movie "Funny Girl". She appeared in a Playboy Magazine pictorial having a pillow fight with Woody Allen. She co-starred in the movie "Un italiano in America".








No comments:

Post a Comment