Friday 5 May 2023

Pamela Rodgers


            On Thursday morning I memorized the fifth verse of "Dernière valse" (Final Waltz) by Boris Vian. There are only two easy ones left. 
            I finished working out the chords for "Adieu Bijou" by Serge Gainsbourg and ran through it in French and English. I uploaded it to Christian's Translations to prepare it for publication on the blog. 
            I weighed 86 kilos before breakfast, which is the heaviest I've been in the morning in 17 days. 
            In the late morning it was clear enough for me to ride downtown for the first time in a week. I went to my branch of the Bank of Montreal at the Manulife Centre to ask them to remove the purchase limit on my debit card. In the line-up an elderly man in an electric scooter who was obviously also somewhat mentally disabled rode up to the front of the line. The two people who'd been at the front of the line thought that the old man had cheated them out of their places and so they moved ahead of him. The old man lashed out at the indignant perhaps retired executive type when he stepped back in front of him. The scooter guy rode back in front of them. To me it just made the abled people look like assholes to be so offended. The guy was obviously not faking his mental disability. I saw him earlier in the washroom and he continuously calls out "Oop!" 
            When it was my turn I told the teller I wanted to have no limit on my debit purchases. She told me that every bank imposes limits and I understood that to be true but I still thought it was wrong to stop me from having access to my own money. She said it was a security precaution but I said that someone constantly holding her hand in case she falls. She said she could increase my limit to $2500 but I wanted it to be as high as anyone else has. She talked to her manager and finally I talked with a manager who explained that it's the credit bureau that sets the limits. It turns out that my limit has been $1000 for forty years and if I had asked thirty years ago to increase my limit they would have increased it to $2500 back then, and a few years later to $5000 if I'd asked, and so on. The way the system works is that even though there is no set number of years before one can increase their limit, one can't skip a level. It seems dumb to me but they are obviously stuck in a system. 
            Behind the teller on the entire wall is a large video screen that curves around to the next wall. I was almost getting vertigo from it as I was talking to her. Before I left I asked her if that screen makes her dizzy and she said, "Yes, it does". 
            On the way home I stopped at Steve's Music to look at guitar straps. They also didn't have the kind of two piece leather strap with the shoulder pad that I bought twenty-five years ago for my Kramer. I asked a guy behind the counter and he knew what I was talking about and found it online under "vintage guitar strap". He said they have some at their Montreal store and ordered one. I said I would have to see it close up to know if it's what I want and he assured me I wouldn't be under any obligation to buy it. 


            I stopped at Freshco where I bought five bags of black grapes, a pack of blackberries, a pack of blueberries, a frozen rack of pork ribs, a pack of five-year-old cheddar, two jugs of limeade, a jug of orange juice, and a pack of toilet paper. Katarina the cashier commented about the rack of ribs and said, "Imagine being hit over the head with it!" I told her about an old Alfred Hitchcock Presents story called "Lamb to the Slaughter" in which a wife kills her husband with a frozen leg of lamb and then when the police come to investigate she cooks the leg of lamb for them and feeds them the evidence. This is based on a story by Roald Dahl. 
            I weighed 84.8 kilos at 14:45. 
            I took a siesta. 
            I weighed 85.1 kilos at 17:15. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:55. 
            In Movie Maker I finished editing the video of my performance of "Kenya", made it into a movie and uploaded it to YouTube. 


            I searched for video clips of people walking slowly in zombie movies. The early ones from the 1930s and 1940s seem to be better because the zombies don't have a lot of prosthetics to make them look like rotting corpses. They look more like sleepwalkers. I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for yet. 
            I had a potato with gravy and two chicken drumsticks while watching season 7, episodes 16 and 17 of The Beverly Hillbillies.
            In the first story Milburn Drysdale has a case of influenza but his wife Margaret is upset that he has the common flu rather than something more exotic. She is embarrassed to face her bridge club because Mrs. Van Ransohoff's husband has the social decency to have caught the Hong Kong flu. Meanwhile Granny brings him some of her flu serum, also known as Possum Ridge penicillin, but also known as white lightning or moonshine. She brings Milburn a jug, tells him to take a shot every hour, and then leaves. But Milburn just puts the jug on his nightstand and goes to sleep. Then Elly May's pet bear Fairchild comes in, drinks the jug, and leaves. When Granny comes back to check on Milburn she is surprised that he drank the whole jug and that it didn't kill him. She leaves him another jug and Fairchild immediately returns to drink that too. Granny comes home to find Fairchild drinking one of her jugs in the kitchen. She thinks that when Milburn took Fairchild to Hooterville he turned him into a drunk. What happened was that there were several jugs on the truck for fuel and the bear started drinking them. 
            In the second story Jethro has decided to become a Hollywood agent. He calls his company JB Enterprises. Bunny, one of Drysdale's secretaries, who is also a stripper, has just made a deal to rent the fifth floor of the Commerce Bank to JB Enterprises and Drysdale is impressed because he hears JB is one of the biggest talent agents in the country. He doesn't yet realize that JB stands for Jethro Bodine.
            Meanwhile Cousin Roy arrives at the Clampett mansion. He says he's come to Beverly Hills to try to get a recording contract. He plays some hot guitar and then they take him to see if Jethro will be his agent. Bunny is now Jethro's receptionist and he tells her to only let in big names. She can't let in Jed, Granny or Roy but Elly says her full name is Elly May Margaret and Bunny admits that's a big name. Jethro rejects Roy because he's not jet set enough. Later Roy decides to leave town because he's been rejected by what he thinks is the biggest agent. But before he can leave, Elly comes down the stairs in a slinky gown and tells him how much it turns her on to hear him perform. Roy decides to stay after all. He picks up his guitar and plays Sweet Georgia Brown. 
            Bunny was played by Pamela Rodgers, whose first movie was Doctor Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine. She appeared as a Slaygirl assassin in The Silencers. She was a regular on the short-lived sitcom Hey Landlord and on The Jonathan Winters Show. She made frequent appearances on Laugh-In and appeared in the Rowan and Martin film The Maltese Bippy. She was a panelist on Match Game and Hollywood Squares. She appeared three times on Love American Style. She co-starred in The Big Cube.










No comments:

Post a Comment