Friday 12 May 2023

Roger Torrey


            On Thursday morning I finished searching for the chords for both "La Dernière valse" (Final Waltz) by Boris Vian and "Quoi" by Serge Gainsbourg. I only found one set for the Vian song but there were quite a few variations on the ones posted for "Quoi". I worked out the first three chords for the intro of "La Dernière valse" and the intro and the first line of "Quoi". I agree with it starting with D but each of the sites only name one other chord in that line while I hear several. 
            I weighed 85.2 kilos at 9:00 and that's 1.5 kilos heavier than 11:15 on this date last year. I have to skip breakfast because I have an appointment for my annual physical at 13:30 so I'll check my weight again before I leave to see how it compares to the scale at Dr. Shechtman's office. 
            I weighed 84.6 kilos at 12:30, just before leaving for the doctor's office, so that's about a kilo heavier than last year. I arrived and said that I had an appointment for 13:30, but the receptionist asked, "Excuse me, what is 13:30?" I tell her it's 1:30 on the 24 hour clock. She says that people come in and give her all kinds of numbers and so how is she supposed to know what I'm talking about. 
            I was disappointed when she handed me a mask to wear because I'd thought that we were done with all that. It was a very complicated mask by 3M that had a right side up and two elastics. It opens up on the inside like a sausage bun and I couldn't figure out where to put my face. I had to ask for instructions. It opens up and closes over the nose and chin, it's a lot stiffer than the usual masks and there's a lot of space inside. The mouth doesn't touch the fabric. Because of the space it's harder to scratch. Only one other person was given the same kind of mask while everybody else was wearing the usual softer ones. I asked Dr. Shechtman about it and he said the other people must have brought their own masks. I asked if this mask thing at the clinic is permanent and he said, "I sure hope not!" 
            I told Dr. Shechtman about my knee injury and the redness on my nose. He said the nose condition might be rosacea, which is what W.C. Fields had. People used to think it was caused by drinking. He prescribed me a cream to use for it. 
            My blood pressure is fine. He checked my prostate even though it is no longer recommended. Annual physicals are no longer recommended either. Dr. Shechtman finds it strange because he's used to checking prostates but he says studies show that it doesn't really detect prostate cancer. He says younger doctors don't do it at all. When he goes to his doctor she checks his heart, his blood pressure and his weight and that's it. 
            I told him that the next couple of years will be a test for me since neither my brother or sister made it to seventy. He said he out lived his father and that it was a weird feeling. He said his birthday is two days after mine and that he's a year older than me. I suggested that he must have listened to the same music and I mentioned the Monkees. He said he used to watch the Monkees on TV and tell his parents they were going to be very big. I said I used to comb my hair like a different Monkee every day before school. He said that after he and his brother saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan they combed their hair down over their foreheads and their parents were wondering what was going on. I said I sing a song from 1969 every day. It's "Je t'aime moi non plus" but I had to hum it for him. He's heard of Serge Gainsbourg. He said he plays guitar too and used to play in rock bands in college. He has a few guitars both acoustic and electric but mostly plays a Telecaster. 
            I went to the labs down the street where I got my knee x-rayed and gave two samples of blood. I don't think I spent more than twenty minutes at the labs all together even though they are in two different offices on the third floor. 
            I stopped at Freshco on the way home where I bought five bags of grapes, a pack of strawberries, a pack of blackberries, two packs of raspberries, some bananas, a pack of five-year-old cheddar, a jar of Basilica sauce, a jar of salsa, and two bags of kettle chips. 
            I weighed 84 kilos at 15:45. But my doctor said I weighed 83.2 kilos two hours before and I hadn't eaten since then. So maybe my scale registers heavier than it should. 
            I took a late siesta. 
            I weighed 84.6 kilos at 18:00, which is the lightest I've been at that time in two weeks. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 19:33. 
            I reviewed the videos of me playing The Wooden Leg on June 13, 15, 17, 18, 20, and 22; and "La jambe de bois" on June 14, 16, 19, and 21. There was something wrong on all of them. Up until June 19 I was hitting one chord incorrectly. On one occasion I forgot to do the song and on another the video ran out. For the rest there was too much traffic noise. 
            I barbecued some pork ribs in the oven and had three with a potato and gravy while watching season 8, episodes 4 and 5 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            In the first story, Drysdale is taking care of Elly's animals while the Clampetts are in Silver Dollar City. He cooks a big pot of garbage to feed the goat but Jethro eats it. Jethro decides to head for Silver Dollar City and Drysdale tells Jane to go with him to keep Elly from getting married. 
            On the plane Jane tells Jethro a riddle: "It's not my sister, it's not my brother, yet it's a child of my father and mother. It's me." Jethro thinks it's funny but he doesn't seem to understand it. He tries to tell it to the flight attendant but thinks the punchline is "Jane Hathaway". 
            Jethro and Jane arrive in Silver Dollar City and Jane heads for the woods to do some bird watching. 
            Meanwhile Jed and Granny are worried about Elly making herself unattractive to a man by entering her rock hard inedible cake in the baking contest at the fair. But she announces that the miller bought it. Jed goes to buy it back from him before he tries to eat it. But he's using it for a grindstone and says it's the best he's ever had, so he refuses to sell. 
            Jane comes back from the woods to announce that she's found a perfect man for Elly. He was chopping wood in the forest and she invited him to town. Jed and Granny are impressed with Matthew Templeton and he seems to be the perfect man. He's handsome, tall, strong, polite, and intelligent. He immediately hits it off with Elly and she shows him around the village. Jane goes back to the woods to try to find a man for herself. 
            In the second story Matthew comes for dinner and Granny makes him believe that Elly cooked it. When Granny is alone with Matthew she asks him if he'd like to marry Elly and he says he would. Granny calls Drysdale to tell him to take Jed's $85 million out of his bank for Elly's dowery. Drysdale puts Elly's animals in the zoo and immediately heads for Silver Dollar City. 
            Granny has a bet with Elverna Bradshaw over whether Elly or Elverna's daughter Victoria will be married first. The loser will be kicked up the mountain by the winner. When Elverna learns that Elly and Matthew will be married the day before Victoria she begins to worry. Then everyone meets Victoria's fiancé Robert, who is a little man with thick glasses that just got broken in the woods and so he is nearly blind. 
            Jed invites Matthew to bring his big family to visit and so he heads beyond Possum Ridge to fetch them. 
            Drysdale arrives in Silver Dollar City. Shorty tells him Granny wants Jed's $85 million transferred to the bank in Bugtussle. Bugtussle apparently consists of one building that serves as the general store, the bank, the post office, city hall, the fire hall, the funeral parlour, and jail. Drysdale decides the only way to save himself from losing Jed's account is to buy the bank of Bugtussle. He gets on a mule and heads there. 
            Matthew Templeton was played by Roger Torrey, who was the original choice to play Jethro on The Beverly Hillbillies. He made guest appearances on many TV shows and played supporting roles in several movies. He died of a brain aneurism at the age of 47. 
            The clumsy Robert Holloway and an elderly telegraph messenger who falls off his bike were played by Jerry Brutsche. He was primarily a stuntman who also worked as an actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment