Thursday 11 May 2023

Shug Fisher


           On Wednesday morning I transcribed the chords for "Dernière valse" (Final Waltz) by Boris Vian that I found at Boite a chanson (Sound Box). There were no more chords than those under the search "chords", but I'll try "accords" tomorrow and see if any more turn up.
            I found two sets of chords for "Quoi" by Serge Gainsbourg, and a few sites had slight variations on the second set. I found a site with the sheet music so I'll look closer at that tomorrow and finish my search. 
            I weighed 85 kilos before breakfast and that's the lightest I've been in the morning in a week. 
            In the late morning I headed down to St. Lawrence Market. Because Queen Street is closed off at Yonge I decided to go downtown along King Street. At the northeast corner of King and Dufferin the whole block has been torn down, including the Burger King that was there for decades, and it looks like a condo complex is going up. King Street is boring and empty of culture pretty much all the way downtown. 
            At the market I first went to Domino Foods to buy some bulk candy for my daughter's birthday. I sent her a message last week to find out if there's anything she wants or needs but she didn't answer. I got mostly the usual. She likes sour stuff and so I got lots of various kinds of sour gummies. The only thing new they had were Jamaican rum balls, which have an interesting taste. Upstairs at Sausage King I bought some hot pepperettes. The young guy behind the counter was reading a book by Philip K. Dick. I asked if he was a Dickhead. He said it was his first book by him but he was enjoying it. He asked if I had any recommendations but I've actually never read anything by Dick. I've only seen some film adaptations. At a cheese place I bought my daughter some chocolate halvah. 
            I walked around and looked at other stores but I find the market pretty expensive for meat and prepared food. It's nice to look at but the supermarket is more my speed because everything is already weighed and clearly priced. There are some interesting kitchen items at that little store in the middle of the market but I don't know what my daughter already has and so I'd be taking a chance getting her anything from there because she might not need or want it. 
            I stopped at Black Market on Queen but again I don't know what my daughter might want there. Nothing stood out besides the punk version of Hit Me Baby One More Time that was playing. 
            I went to Lush where the sales staff are annoyingly perky and pushy. Everything they have is pretty much the same as before. They have a Sex Bomb bath bomb that is supposed to be arousing but it didn't seem appropriate as a gift from a parent to their child. They even have bath bombs that they claim will sooth a broken heart. I just bought my daughter one black rose bath bomb. 
            At Queen and Augusta where the Kentucky Fried Chicken used to be there's been an empty lot for several months. There's a big hole in the ground and graffiti on the exposed wall of the building next door with an anthropomorphic buck smoking a joint. There's a fence around the hole and someone has put signs on the fence that read "Augusta Street Crater". 
            I didn't remember until I got home that I'd planned on getting some Montreal style bagels at Bagels on Fire. I can wait till the weekend or next Wednesday. 
            I weighed 84.5 kilos at 14:30, which is the lightest I've been at lunchtime in thirteen days. I had Breton crackers with hummus and a glass of limeade. 
            I took a late siesta. 
            I weighed 85.1 kilos at 16:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:00. 
            I already had a shipping parcel that was too small for what I sent my daughter at Christmastime. I labelled the bags of candy with masking tape and packed it all in the box. I sent it to Montreal by express and so it should be there tomorrow or Friday. 
            I reviewed the last videos of me playing "Mamadou" and "Post Colonial Breakdown". On "Post Colonial Breakdown" on July 14 I ended on the A chord again but on July 15 I finished "Mamadou" with a C7 chord, which sounds better. However there was way too much traffic noise outside and so I can't use it. Last summer's recordings of these two songs are a write-off and so I'll have to look to the next session to hear if I can come up with better takes for YouTube. 
            I reviewed three videos of me playing "The Wooden Leg" on June 1, 9, and 11; and two of "La jambe de bois" on June 2 and 10. On June 1 there was traffic noise, June 9 was cut off, but June 11 was quite good. On June 2 I fumbled the words and on June 10 the spit screen was blocking my mouth sometimes. 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce, a cut up hot pepperette, and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 8, episodes 2 and 3 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            Jed, Granny, and Elly May arrive in Silver Dollar City, population 28. Technically I think that a community needs more than 2000 people to qualify as a city and over 200 to be a town. Silver Dollar City would have to be a village. Maybe it was a city during a silver boom and then went dry. Everybody seems to know the Clampetts in Silver Dollar City, though the town nearest the Clampett cabin is supposed to be Bugtussle. The Clampetts rent two rooms at the only hotel, which is run by Shorty Kellems. All four rooms at the hotel are taken but Shorty says he'll put the show business people in the two front rooms up at his place. Those occupants turn out to be three very buxom women. 
            Meanwhile back in Beverly Hills Mr. Drysdale is cooking for Jethro and his three hippy friends, but they don't appreciate it. When he argues with them they threaten to organize a large protest of his bank. He has to pretend to become a hippy too in order to get them to call it off. But while putting on his act he receives a call from his secretary Jane Hathaway at the bank. He makes some anti-banking statements to save his bank but is overheard by the head of the bankers association who plans to report him. 
            In Silver Dollar City Jed and Elly run into Granny's rival Elverna Bradshaw. Elverna is on her way to buy material for her daughter's wedding dress but Granny buys the last of the material out of spite. She and Elverna begin to fight. Granny makes a bet with Elverna that Elly will be married first even though Victoria Rose Bradshaw is already engaged while Elly has no prospects. The winner gets to kick the other up the mountain. Granny paints some ugly caricatures of Elverna and puts them around town. Elverna sees them and comes to challenge Granny. Granny chases Elverna out of town.
            The Silver Dollar City fair is about to start. Elly has entered several contests. Granny is hoping Elly will attract a prospective husband so she can win her bet with Elverna Bradshaw. Elverna comes by Shorty's hotel to book it for her daughter's wedding reception. She and Granny get into another argument. But the fair is about to start and they don't want to miss it so they don't come to blows. The fair begins with a square dance by professional dancers. Granny goes to the basket weaving contest where Elly is competing and Granny pretends she doesn't know her. She addresses the unmarried men in the crowd and praises Elly's beauty and ability. She does the same thing at the candle making contest. Then she goes to help Chick Allen sell his medicine and invites Elly up for a demonstration only to begin praising her beauty again. Elverna tries to stop her but Granny puts Chick's miracle mud all over Elverna's face. 
            Shorty Kellems was played by Shug Fisher, who started as a musician and when he began to travel his act around he added comedy. He made his way to Hollywood where he played with a couple of local country groups. He became a singer with The Sons of the Pioneers and began acting in Roy Rogers movies. He began writing songs that were recorded by artists like Red Foley. He was a member of John Ford's stock company and appeared in countless westerns. On TV he was a regular on Ozark Jubilee, and he played Charlie Kern on Ripcord.

No comments:

Post a Comment