Sunday 21 May 2023

Devon Blaine


            On Saturday morning I ran through singing and playing "La Dernière valse" (Final Waltz) by Boris Vian in French. I adjusted my translation and tomorrow I'll run through singing and playing my translation before uploading it to Christian's Translations. 
            I memorized the third verse of "Mon père un Catholique" (My Dad Was Catholic) and almost nailed down the fourth. There are just two verses left to learn. 
            I have a pain on my right side. It's about the level of the appendix but it's right on the side at the bottom of my ribs. Maybe I have gallstones. 
            I still think the action on my Martin guitar is too high, at least for me. I think I'm going to take it back to the 12th Fret next week to see how much it can be lowered and still be playable. 
            I weighed 84.6 kilos before breakfast, which is the lightest I've been in the morning in twenty-two days.
            Around midday I went down to No Frills where the grapes were all soft and so I bought a case of mangoes instead. I also bought a pack of strawberries, a pack of raspberries, a sack of potatoes, some Greek flat bread, a tuxedo cake for my birthday next week, three jars of Basilica sauce, a jar of salsa, a box of spoon size shredded wheat, and a container of skyr. 
            On the way home from the supermarket I got a front flat tire so I bought a tube from Metro Cycles. 
            I made an appointment with Smile City Dental for Tuesday at 13:00 to get a front filling repaired. The last time I was there the dentist offered to fix it but at that time there was only a little chip off the bottom and I figured I could get it done at the Parkdale clinic during the summer. But I was gnawing on the bone of a steak last night and I must have ground the white off the filling. It wouldn't look very nice if I were to accidentally smile at somebody the way it looks now. 
            I weighed 84.7 kilos before lunch. I had Bretton crackers with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of limeade. 
            In the afternoon I changed the front tube. I found a little pyramid of glass was what caused the puncture. As usual it took me quite a while to both get the tire off and to get it back on again. It took about an hour all together but it probably would have taken more for the back tire. I rode my bike around the block for a test drive. I was home at about the time when I would normally return from an afternoon bike ride. 
            I started researching leather crafters to see who I might try to get to make me the kind of guitar strap that I want. 
            I weighed 84.3 kilos at 17:15. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:15. 
            I reviewed the video of my performances of "Baby Pop" and "Dance to Baby Pop" from July 8 to July 15. On July 8, 11, 14, and 15 there was too much traffic noise. On July 10, 12, and 13 the battery either had already run out before I got to the song or it timed out while I was playing. "Baby Pop" on July 9 was pretty good. There were thirteen takes all together on last year's recordings of these songs that I noted as "pretty good", so I'll start narrowing them down tomorrow. 
            In the Movie Maker project for creating a video of my song "Instructions for Electroshock Therapy" I synchronized the concert video with the studio audio for the line, "refer to current literature" but it goes out of synch during the line "Why don't we open our books to page thirty four". So next I'll look for a video clip of lightning coming out of a book or something like that. 
            I made pizza on Greek flat bread with Basilica sauce, my last grilled basa fillet, and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 8, episodes 22 and 23 of The Beverly Hillbillies.
            The first story picks up exactly where the previous one left off. The judge that was hired to marry Shorty and Elverna married Shorty and Gloria by mistake. Shorty is told the marriage has to be annulled because he promised himself to Elverna. Gloria however likes the idea of being married to Shorty. Jed tells her that she'd be living on a farm in the Tennessee hills and she likes the idea of living in the country. But according to information from a previous episode, Shorty won't have a farm until his father dies. He lived in Silver Dollar City and owned a hotel before he sold it and left for Beverly Hills.
            The Clampetts set up the old cabin behind the mansion so Gloria can have a taste of what life would be like for her with Shorty in the country. She has to get up at 4:00, milk a cow, plough and fertilize a field, slop a hog, feed the goat, clean the chicken pen, and do laundry with lye soap.
            Meanwhile Elverna has Shorty locked in the cage but he tricks Jethro again and gets out. Jethro tricks Bessie the chimp to let him out and he locks her in but she tricks him back. 
            Shorty goes to see how Gloria's doing. He says, "Now you know what you can do with the farm. She responds, "I know what you can do with it." 
            Elverna announces that Shorty's marriage to Gloria is invalid because the license is not in her name. Gloria says, "Hallelujah!" 
            In the second story, with the old cabin once again set up in the back, Granny wants to live there. To make Granny happy through this sentimental phase Jed says they'll all live with her there as well. Meanwhile Shorty is still at the mansion while Elverna has gone back to Silver Dollar City, but there is no explanation for the separation. Shorty says he'll stay in the mansion while they're in the cabin but he immediately puts up a sign above the door reading "Hotel for Women" and another saying "Single Women Only". When the single women of the secretarial pool hear about it they go to check it out. When they see Shorty they see the catch but they are all charmed by him. When Drysdale learns that it's the Clampett mansion he is all for it because he thinks it's Jed's idea, so the women move in. Among them is Gloria who still gets along great with shorty with lots of hugging and kissing. Shorty says the marriage wasn't a success but the separation is a ball. The girls have just washed their underwear and Shorty is hanging it up for them when Jed walks in. Shorty doesn't want Jed to know he's got women living in the house and so he tells him they are his dainty things. 
            That night Shorty serves the women dinner with the extra food Granny cooked for Jethro. Jean Bell says it's soul food like they used to have back home. Jethro is locked out of the mansion but he knows there are women inside dancing with Shorty. He climbs a ladder and puts on a dress, a wig and makeup so he can join the party but Jed catches him before he can go into the parlour. Jed tells Shorty he has to pack up and leave. Then Jed walks in where the women are dancing and starts dancing with them. 
            One of the secretaries who has been in several episodes of the Beverly Hillbillies is Janet Butterfield, who was played by Devon Blaine. She started as a model and a stunt driver. She played a dancer in the 1969 movie The Babysitter. In 1975 she formed her own public relations company, The Blaine Group. She is also a former president of the Los Angeles chapter of the National Association of Women Business Owners. 
            Helen Thompson was played by Dannielle Mardi, who started performing by the age of four as the warm up act for the audience of the Gene Autrey Show. Her father was the guitarist Noel Boggs. She was Miss Showgirl International in Las Vegas in 1969 and that led to her role on The Beverly Hillbillies. She appeared on Laugh In, Carol Burnett, Dean Martin, and had supporting roles in several films. She earned a PHD in Philosophy from the University of California. She was an associate professor for a while and then began making documentaries for PBS. She did Nachtwatch with Audrey Hepburn and El Despitar en lod Campos with Andy Garcia.




No comments:

Post a Comment