Sunday 14 May 2023

May 14, 1993: I found Mudds Cabaret and learned they had a poetry open stage on Thursdays


Thirty years ago today

            On Friday I worked from 10:00 to 15:15 at Northern Secondary School. I brought some cassette tapes with me to play while I was posing. There were two Leonard Cohen tapes as well as the demo tape that I made when I was trying out to be a disc jockey for CKLN radio. I did some writing at lunch. After work I went down to the Ontario College of Art to ask Connie if she had any new work for me, but she didn't. I decided to look for that place called "Mugs" to find out if they still had the poetry readings. I found it a little past Bathurst and just north of Queen. The waiter confirmed that there were poetry readings on Thursdays. I also learned that it wasn't called "Mugs" but rather "Mudds Cabaret". On the way home I got off at Coxwell and went to the Beer Store where I bought four kinds of imported beer. I also got some barbecued chicken and then went to buy groceries. I went home to eat chicken, drink beer, and watch Star Trek. 
            I planned that it would be seven more days before I changed my style of work at home. It would be three more days until my daughter's second birthday and twelve days until mine. Yes, I was counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment