Saturday 27 May 2023

May 27, 1993: I read my poems "Christmas 1979" and "Vomit of the Star Eater" and I sang my poem "Starnivorous Blues"


Thirty years ago today 

            On Thursday I worked at Central Technical School at 12:45. My cheque still hadn't come in the mail and so my celebration of my birthday would be further postponed. After work I headed home for a while and called Mike Copping at work from a payphone along the way. I told him about last week's poetry reading and he was impressed. He told me to give him a call next week and he might drop by Mudds Cabaret. I worked at the Ontario College of Art until 22:00 and then I went to Mudds. Diana Dufretes showed up and later Ray and Jodie came. I gave a reading of two poems: "Christmas 1979", "Vomit of the Star Eater" and I sang "Starnivorous Blues": 

Christmas 1979 

In the slow explosion of morning 
by the restaurant's volcanic light 
I find in a box of meteor rocks 
an alien transvestite 

She is wearing a mask 
she has carefully carved 
out of the burning flesh of martyred lust 
and I find myself wanting this strange little bird 
to be dancing on her knees to my animal thrust 

But this woman can't get love
because she got no womb to catch it in 
and this lady can't be courted 
because she ain't no lady in the living end 

But I swim in the strangest state of longing 
as she sits pouting over there 
glaring defiantly at the clientele 
until she stumbles upon my stare 

The waitress lights a cigarette for her 
and she takes a long sensual drag 
while along with the smoke 
through those red flaming lips 
I feel my breath is slowly taken away 

But this woman can't get love
because she got no womb to catch it in
and this lady can't be courted 
because she ain't no lady and in the end 

she's like some flightless bird 
in a peregrine falcon's dress 
She's exquisite food for my fantasies 
but my fingers need smoother slopes to caress 

Vomit of the Star Eater 

He felt a shooting star 
make a pass at his mind 
then an elevator-snowman 
rose up his pneumatic spine 

This sensation split him 
dividing him in half 
and ripped apart the spasmic instrument 
that makes us cry and laugh

One half of him straddled the comedy 
and rocked upon its back 
while playfully tying the other half onto 
the tragic railroad track 

So now he's strung out on being a hunger-freak 
just like all the starnivorous martyrs 
smearing their phosphorescent vomit 
as graffiti on the darkness 

Now he's locked in a light-speed-prism 
and the breaks have lost their juice 
so the rainbow of ideas
at the top is falling loose 

Now its hailing pearls of wisdom 
raining sacramental wine 
but the heavenly fruit turns to scarlet mud
in the troughs of human swine 

But he's still strung out on being a hunger-freak 
just like all the starnivorous martyrs 
smearing their phosphorescent vomit 
as graffiti on the darkness 

Shanghaied by the inner crowd 
he wakes up as a rebel 
getting orders from the spectrum 
of those flashing ghastly signals 

from his pyramid of crystal 
frozen from the sweat of man 
which he keeps parked out in orbit 
where it won't do the harm it can 

With its razor-sharpened edges 
our so-called mental health it could cut 
making french fries of our illusions
in its blasting furnace guts 

and then we'd all turn out to be hunger-freaks 
just like all the starnivorous martyrs 
smearing our phosphorescent vomit 
as graffiti on the darkness 

Starnivorous Blues 

Oh catch the silver honey 
that splays from the spinning stars 
but never lick their buzz saw blades 
they leave a shining scar 

and your mouth will bleed forever 
filling every mouth you kiss 
and give each one a taste for blood 
and an ear for the telltale hiss 

of the whispering bleeding space balloons 
falling from the sky of knives 
so they'll never eat at home again 
or want to be our wives 

Then they'll build balloon skin tepees 
out on the playing field 
and they'll dance round each crash landing 
with their hymens fully healed 

and they'll say "We're through with bleeding 
so we're giving men a pause 
and we've joined this massive harem 
as consorts of Santa Clause" 

And Santa gives them everything 
including time to think 
and they think, "Let's send the guys up 
for that bloody star-sweet drink" 

So they send men up in lipstick rockets 
tongues protruding from the ends 
to lick celestial clitori 
But they expect them back again? 

            The crowd's attention was fragmented by the noise from the other room, but a few people came up to me and told me they liked what I'd done. 
            Diana, Ray and Jodie seemed pretty excited about me coming to their place for dinner on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment