Friday 26 May 2023

May 26, 1993: My daughter had ice cream for the first time


Thirty years ago today 

            Wednesday was my birth day and my daughter and I got up around 10:00. I didn't make breakfast because I expected to take her to eat downtown when my cheque came. But it didn't come and my daughter was cranky as hell when I was getting her ready to go down to the payphone on Queen to call her mother. She had about eight different tools in her hands and every time she dropped one she'd throw them all down in frustration and begin to cry. If I tried to offer solutions she would start hitting me. I called Nancy to tell her I was bringing our daughter back to Scarborough but she said not to because she was coming down to the Beaches. Once my daughter was out she started to feel better. I took her to the bank with me and got out $7 . I bought us each a Klondike Bar and we ate them in the back yard. It was her first experience with ice cream. I took about fifteen pictures of her eating hers with ice cream melting all down her face and hands. 














            We were playing with the hose when her mother arrived. She fed her and then we all went for something to eat at the Beach Bar where Nancy loaned me $20. I took my daughter to play in Kew Park, and then she played with the library doors. I took her home for her nap while Nancy hung out at the library. She woke up and wanted to play in the bath about half an hour before her mother came to get her. We walked down to Queen and I put my daughter on the bus. I went for a beer and then I helped a guy carry some stuff back up Wineva and he turned out to be a writer, who I found out a few days later was named Norman Cristofoli.




No comments:

Post a Comment