Sunday 14 May 2023

Sammy Davis Junior


            On Saturday morning I worked out the chords for all but the last line of the first verse of "La Dernière valse" (Final Waltz) by Boris Vian and the second verse and half the chorus of "Quoi" by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            I weighed 84.9 kilos before breakfast, which is the lightest I've been in the morning in ten days.
            My upstairs neighbour David knocked on my door and asked me to come upstairs so he could give me some stuff. I saw that the aloe vera clipping I gave him is doing well. He gave me a carton of aluminium foil and a big bottle of Royal Crown whiskey. Chances are I won't drink it but I can have it on hand for somebody else or maybe cook with it. I showed him my new guitar. 
            I went to Vina Pharmacy to pick up my prescriptions, the betaderm, the hyderm and the new one for rosacea, which is called metrogel. The pharmacist wanted to tell me not to take it internally. But I told him it's delicious with strawberries and he laughed. I read the info and saw that one of the possible side effects of this treatment for rosacea is rosacea. 
            I went to No Frills where I bought five bags of grapes, a watermelon, a pack of raspberries, two T-bone steaks, and two containers of skyr. 
            I weighed 85.4 kilos before lunch. I had Breton crackers with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of limeade. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 84.4 kilos at 17:00 and that's the least I've weighed at that time in three weeks. 
            I went to close the back door and Benji commented that it's cooler on the back roof than the front street. I said that's because the birds are flapping their wings and creating a breeze. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:00. 
            I reviewed the videos of me singing "La jambe de bois" on July 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9; and "The Wooden Leg" on July 2, 4, 6, and 8. On July 3 and 9 I played the song okay but for all the rest the C# chord was off in the first verse. 
            In the Movie Maker project for creating a video of my song Instructions for Electroshock Therapy I put one of the videos of early shock therapy from the 1940s at the end of the timeline and edited it down to just a minute to show the preparation of a syringe and the injection of a drug. I'll cut it down further tomorrow since I only need a few seconds to correspond to my line "for details of injections of amytol and other drugs just in case you want to reduce the violence of these convulsions".
            I scanned some more black and white negatives of my cat Siva and also some street shots from the 1980s. 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce, a cut up hot pepperette, and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 8, episodes 8 and 9 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            The Clampetts are still in Manhattan. Drysdale and Jane arrive at Central Park looking for them when they run into the muggers that Jethro and Jed encountered earlier. Jane had just been complaining that Drysdale hasn't paid her for the last three weeks. So the muggers will have something to steal Drysdale puts Jane's last three weeks pay in her purse. 
            Meanwhile the Clampetts have started building a cabin in Central Park, they've built a fire and Granny is about to cook the fish she caught in the lake. A police officer comes up and tells her she can't fish, build a fire or a cabin in Central Park. Granny tells him that Honest John says they can. The cop with the Irish accent thinks that Granny said that Honest John's name is O'Shaeffer and now that he believes the man is Irish he can do no wrong. Then he thinks the Clampetts are the O'Clampetts. She says they are from the old country and he thinks they mean Ireland, so he leaves them to do what they want. Jane finds the Clampetts. Granny goes looking for possums and meets the two muggers. When they attack her she throws them both in the lake. Drysdale arrives and says he's going to arrange for them all to take a plane back to Los Angeles. Jed says they haven't finished their cabin. Drysdale says they can't build a cabin in Central Park. Jed tells him Honest John says they can. Drysdale says Honest John is a confidence man. Jed agrees because they have lots of confidence in him. Granny says there are no critters in the park. Elly May says she misses her critters. They all decide to return to Beverly Hills. The Clampetts leave and just after that Officer O'Sullivan arrives with his sergeant. The cops find a note from Granny saying they are going home. The cops both speak in Irish accents even though the sergeant is black. They think the Clampetts have gone back to Ireland and they walk away singing "Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Ra".
            In the second story the Clampetts return to Los Angeles but Granny forgot her glasses on the plane and is now half blind. When they get home they see that Fairchild the bear has two bear cubs. Fairchild was referred to as male before and there was no other bear for him or her to mate with. Apparently before Drysdale left to find the Clampetts he left Elly's critters in the care of a veterinarian named Dr. Robert Graham. Granny goes back to the pool to say hello to Dr. Graham, but without her glasses she mistakes a seal for the doctor. She comes back and tells Jed that Dr. Graham is the ugliest man she's ever seen. Elly meets the doctor and Granny is surprised that she thinks he's cute. It turns out that Drysdale isn't even paying Graham but threatened to foreclose on his animal hospital. Elly meets Dr. Graham's little brother Jimmy and his pet otter. Jimmy puts his otter in the pool. Granny goes to look at Graham's brother and sees Jimmy's otter, which she thinks is the ugly doctor's ugly brother. Graham goes on a date with Elly. 
            The black Irish cop was played by Sammy Davis Junior, who I think is the first black person I've seen on the Beverly Hillbillies in these nearly eight years of episodes. He never went to school and performed since the age of three. On vaudeville he got around child labour laws by pretending to be a cigar smoking adult midget. As a short black man he often was beaten up by white soldiers and given the dirtiest jobs by white officers. He converted to Judaism in the 1950s. When he started performing in Las Vegas in the 1950s he wasn't allowed to stay in the hotels he played in. Supposedly Frank Sinatra was influential in getting the ban lifted. His Broadway hit Mr. Wonderful is what led to his Hollywood career. In the 1960s he married Swedish actor May Britt when interracial marriages were against the law in thirty states. He and the rest of the Rat Pack were banned from Marilyn Monroe's funeral by Joe DiMaggio. Both his mother and his grandmother outlived him. Tim Burton wanted Davis to star in Beetlejuice. Supposedly a contract was put on his life when he was dating Kim Novak but Frank Sinatra intervened. He had eight top twenty hit songs, the biggest being Candy Man, which he initially hated. He was nicknamed Mr. Show Business.





No comments:

Post a Comment