Monday 22 May 2023

May 22, 1993: Tom Smarda voiced his concerns about collaborating with me because he was afraid I would deliberately offend people


Thirty years ago today 

            On Saturday I got up around 8:00 and my daughter slept about three hours longer. I did some writing and wrote two songs. After she got up and had a bit of breakfast we were on our way out when Tom Smarda started coming down the stairs. He couldn't stay long but wanted to briefly voice his reservations about the idea that I'd suggested to him of us collaborating. He was afraid that I might try to deliberately offend people and that he would draw the flack from backing me up like he did at Dragonfly over the submissions that I'd sent to Grubb Magazine. Anyway he made a commitment to accompany my poetry reading at Mudds Cabaret on the Thursday after next, and then he left. My daughter and I went out with her new wagon. She borrowed two shovels from the house next door and loaded it with dirt. 
            I brought her back to Nancy that night because she was planning to have a party for her on Sunday with a couple of other kids, taking them to the zoo and then maybe to see the fireworks at the Beaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment