Sunday 25 December 2022

Adrien Beard


            On Saturday even though I had unclicked "read only" in the Properties my Downloads folder several times, it kept reverting back to "read only" which prevents downloads from loading in the folder. I looked this up and found that "read only" persistence often indicates a corrupted file. I did a system scan and some files were found to be corrupted and were repaired but some couldn't be. For the ones still corrupted I'm trying to follow the instructions, which involve more system scans. 
            I blog-published "Baby's Alone in Babylon", which is my translation of "Baby Alone in Babylon" by Serge Gainsbourg. I memorized the first verse of his song "Ohio". 
            It's minus eleven outside and even with the heat blasting it almost feels like it's not on. 
            I weighed 83.5 kilos before breakfast. 
            After wasting two hours of my morning on the "read only" problem I found out from another site that when the "read only" box is blacked in it doesn't mean "read only". It doesn't seem to mean anything. All this time all I needed was a restart to get my downloads flowing. 
            I weighed 84.1 kilos before lunch. I had a toasted bagel with Mexican salami and old English cheddar with a glass of half lemonade and half cranberry juice. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride but the conditions on the Bloor bike lane were too treacherous in places for me to want to go all the way downtown. I went as far as Ossington, then south to Queen and west. I stopped at Freshco on the way home to get eggs and a pack of Sponge Towels. 
            I weighed 83.8 kilos at 17:15. 
            I made pizza on two halves of a Montreal style bagel with Mexican salami, Basilica sauce, and old English cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 25, episodes 1 and 2 of South Park. 
            In the first story Mr. Garrison is teaching his first class after the last few years when he was president of the United States. He starts off by telling the students about his personal life and how he's been with Marcus but now he's with Rick. He introduces the class to Rick but then Marcus calls and Garrison wants the class to help him lie to him about Rick. But when the class is silent he is complaining about their lack of response when PC Principal walks in. The principal punishes the class for not being responsive to their teacher and says the entire class is not allowed to wear pyjamas on Pyjama Day on Friday. Some students call the principal a Nazi and so do some parents. Most of the adults in South Park wear pyjamas in solidarity. The principal won't back down out of fear of appearing weak. Some people are arrested for not wearing pyjamas. The students are planning on apologizing to Garrison even though they did nothing wrong. But Garrison starts a class with more intimate details about his night last night. Then he challenges the students to repeat what he just said but they can't. He gives them hell for not paying attention just as the principal walks in. But the principal is about to give in and offer his resignation until Wendy Testerberger reminds him that Friday is also Opposite Day. This way he can save face by just telling everyone to wear what they want. 
            I never got the concept of pyjamas. I had them when I was a kid but ditched them around the time I discovered masturbation. Why would anyone wear clothes to bed when the whole point is to be naked with yourself? 
            Season 25, episode 2 is one of the cleverest South Park stories ever. The marijuana farmers' collective determine that not enough black people are involved in the weed business. Randy Marsh decides to try to get close to the only black family in South Park, the Blacks. Then he asks the Blacks to dinner for the first time. While they are there he asks why they named their son Token. But Steve Black says he named his son Tolkien because he's a big fan of Lord of the Rings. Stan is shocked because he always though his friend's name was Token. He calls Kyle but it turns out Kyle always knew. Stan remembers that Cartman once wore a T-shirt with "Token" written on it but it turns out that Cartman always knew his name was Tolkien but he just didn't know there was an "l" in the name. Stan discovers that he is the only one who thought the name was "Token". He goes to a doctor and confesses what he thought the name was. The doctor says he's a piece of shit for going along with the dominant culture of the white paradigm and then turns to address the audience, saying that anyone that thought black parents would have named their child "Token" is a fucking racist. That's the clever part because everybody who's ever watched South Park for the last twenty years has thought that the kid's name was "Token". 
            Tolkien Black is played by Adrien Beard, who has also done the voice of Steve Black, Squirrely the Squirrel and a few other characters. He is also the art director and the main storyboarder for South Park. 
            For the third night in a row I found no bedbugs. It's been a while since they've stayed away this long. I wonder if it's the cold weather that's keeping them deep in the walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment