Friday 2 December 2022

Jean Willes


            On Thursday morning I memorized the first two verses of "Rupture au miroir" (Crack in the Mirror) by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            I weighed 84.8 kilos before breakfast, which is the lightest I've been at that time in eight days. 
            I copied a lot of the text from the September 26 slides of English in the World and pasted them into my lecture notes. 
            I weighed 84.2 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and on the way back I stopped at Freshco. I bought five bags of red grapes, two packs of blueberries, one pack of raspberries, two packs of five-year-old cheddar, a loaf of Bavarian sandwich bread, a bag of naan, a whole chicken, a bag of kettle chips, a jug of orange juice, and a jug of limeade. The only skyr they had was sweetened vanilla and so I got some Greek yogourt instead. 
            I weighed 83.7 kilos at 17:45. I'd have to scroll back a long way to find when I was last that light at that time. 
            I was caught up in my journal at 18:33. 
            I copied the texts for more lecture slides into the first week of October. 
            I grilled two regular steaks and one small one. I let the drippings fall into water below and poured it into the too thick gravy to smooth it out. That worked, but while I was pouring, two steaks fell on the floor. I had to wash them under the tap and put them back in the oven. I had one of them with a potato and gravy while watching season 2, episode 26 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            Granny has made a new and very potent batch of her spring tonic that causes her to do cartwheels. She decides to distribute it to the whole neighbourhood. Mrs. Margaret Drysdale is horrified because the social leader of the world's jet set, Countess Maria Von Holstein has leased the other mansion that is next door to the Clampetts. She is afraid that the countess will leave when she encounters the hillbillies. But the countess has already tried Granny's tonic and considers it to be the elixir of youth. 
            Maria goes to the Clampett house to get some more and when she sees Jed she tells him she is in love with him and starts to chase him around. Granny gives her some catnip tea to counter the tonic. Maria wants to throw a big party and serve all of the guests Granny's tonic. Jethro runs in to report that Mrs. Drysdale just dumped all 75 litres of her tonic into the swimming pool. Maria asks to be the one to fix Mrs. Drysdale. 
            Maria goes to the bank and tells Margaret that she is throwing the party of her dreams, to which kings and queens will be coming, as well as the Clampetts, but not her. After she leaves, Mr. Drysdale has some of Granny's tonic and proceeds to give Margaret a spanking. Jane takes the tonic and begins to howl like Tarzan while chasing Jethro around the neighbourhood. Jed goes on a date with Maria.
            Granny is out of the ingredients for a new batch of tonic but discovers that the swimming pool is full of it. Maria and her elderly chauffeur Humphrey come to the pool and Granny gives them each a glass of the tonic from the fountain. The next scene is after a wedding and Maria and Humphrey have just spent to the night together at the Clampett house. 
            The Countess Maria was played by Jean Willes, who started appearing in film shorts in 1942, including several Three Stooges shorts. She began getting small parts in feature films throughout the 1940s. Then she co-starred in The Winner's Circle in 1948, Revenue Agent in 1950, Hidden Secret in 1952, and in one of the Jungle Jim movies. She had a lot of cheesecake parts in major movies without a lot of talking. Her biggest role in an A-list film was as the nurse in Invasion of the Body Snatchers. She co-starred in "A King and Four Queens". 





            For the second night in a row I found no bedbugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment