Saturday 17 December 2022

Teena Marie


            On Friday morning I finished working out the chords for "Les dessous chics" (Lingerie Chic) by Serge Gainsbourg and ran through the song in French. Tomorrow I'll sing and play it in English and then upload it to my Christian's Translations blog. 
            I weighed 83.8 kilos before breakfast, which is the lightest I've been in the morning in a few weeks at least. 
            I worked for two hours on my Medieval Literature essay. Most of my writing went into improving my argument and so I only added about a quarter of a page of text. 
            I weighed 84.1 kilos before lunch. 
            I took a siesta but woke up early and so I only stayed in bed for an hour. 
            I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 83.7 kilos at 16:45. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 17:26. 
            I worked on my Medieval Literature essay for about three hours. I've got a solid four pages and started to work on the conclusion. Then if I add more to the intro and write an outline that should stretch it out to the required six pages. I'm hoping that I can have it done on Saturday so I can finish my English in the World essay soon. 
            I grilled two pork chops but I started late so I turned them and left them in the oven while I ate my potato with gravy and started watching The Beverly Hillbillies. I finished watching while eating one of the pork chops. 
            Jed has donated $1 million to a university and so the dean has awarded him an honorary Doctor of Humanities degree. Jethro just thinks that means a Doctor of Humans. Jed's degree doesn't sit well with Granny who's been doctoring for fifty years. Jed doesn't take his degree seriously and keeps reassuring Granny that she'll always be the doctor. Granny goes to the university and asks the dean to make her a doctor as well but he calls a psychiatrist. Jethro has to help her escape from a straight jacket.
            Meanwhile a tour bus rolls into the Clampett driveway because Jed is the owner of Mammoth Studios but Jed thinks it's a busload of patients coming to see him now that they think he is a real doctor. A mother and daughter get off and she wants to show Jed her daughter's tap-dancing talent. But Jed thinks her tapping is a nervous condition. He tells the mother to bring Beverly back when Granny returns. When Granny gets back she says she won't have anything to do with Jed's patients but then her compassion takes over. Granny takes the girl and her mother upstairs and gives the mother two doses of nerve tonic. The next patient has a bird imitation act with a costume but Jed and Granny think she really thinks she's a bird. Then comes a fire eater and Jed tells Jethro to get him something else to eat but not Granny's moonshine because he'll set fire to the house. Then after Elly sees a woman strip down to her underwear she thinks her husband is mad at her when he begins throwing knives, but it's a knife throwing act. Jed returns his degree to the dean and says that even Granny can't cure Hollywood folk.
            Beverly was played by a seven-year-old Teena Marie in her first screen appearance. She was singing from the age of two. In 1976 she auditioned for Berry Gordy at Motown Records and he signed her. Rick James, who was also signed with Motown was impressed with Teena and became her producer. Her first album was called Wild and Peaceful and her first single, "I'm a Sucker for your Love", featuring a duet with Rick James became an R&B hit. Everybody thought she was black until she performed the song on Soul Train and became the show's first white, female guest. Her second album was "Lady T" and her third, produced and written by her was "Irons in the Fire". The song "I Need Your Loving" from that album became her first top 40 hit. She and Rick James had the hit "Fire and Desire" just before he died. "It Must Be Magic" was her first gold record album. In 1983 after a legal dispute with Motown, she moved to Epic records where she released "Robbery" containing the hit "Fix It". Her biggest album was "Starchild" with her greatest hit "Lovergirl". Her album "Naked to the World" had the number 1 R&B hit "Ooh La La". She rapped in her song "Square Biz". She took ten years off to raise her daughter and then released "La Dona" which became her best charting album. Her album "Congo Square" was another hit. She died in 2010. She was Maya Rudolph's godmother. 



            I searched for bedbugs and killed one in its hole in the wall above the corner of the head of my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment