Thursday 22 December 2022

Sophie Aldred


            On Wednesday I worked out the chords for the first verse of "Babe alone in Babylone" by Serge Gainsbourg. It's a pretty complicated song. 
            I weighed 84 kilos before breakfast. 
            In the late morning I headed down to St. Lawrence Market to do my annual Christmas shopping. In the deli in the basement I bought two bottles of Curry Ketchup with roasted garlic, one for my daughter and one for me. At Domino Foods I got various candies for my daughter such as chocolate covered cranberries, sour gummi bears, and cashew caramel clusters. I treated myself to a bag of fresh ground French mocha coffee. I also got hot German sausage, hot Mexican salami, some breakfast bacon, a small jerk chicken pie, a small curried chicken pie, a pack of raspberries, and a pack of blackberries. 
            On Queen Street west near Spadina I checked out a store called "Exotic Treats", but it just had a lot of stuff, stuff like boxes of cereal one might find in the supermarket, except with pictures of rappers on the covers. 
            I went into Lush and bought three bath bombs for my daughter. 
            I stopped at Bagels on Fire and got a dozen sesame seed Montreal style bagels. 
            On the way home I went to Freshco where I got two bags of grapes, some bananas, two packs of five-year-old cheddar, and a jug of orange juice. 
            Before going home I went to the post office to get a shipping package so I could send the gifts to my daughter in Montreal. I found out that to get the package to Astrid by Christmas I needed to mail it within the next hour. That wasn't going to be possible and so I resigned myself to try to mail it tomorrow. 
            I went to the Dollarama where I bought some round, coloured tags and some coloured string to tie up the bags of candy. 
            I weighed 83.4 kilos at 16:15. 
            I had a very late lunch of Mexican salami and five-year-old cheddar on a Montreal style bagel with a glass of limeade. 
            I took a late siesta until 18:18 and woke up with a cramp in my left foot, probably because of all the walking I did today. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 19:43, which was almost time for dinner but I did have time to put together the shipping package and tag and label some of the candies. 
            I made pizza on a slice of Bavarian sandwich bread with Basilica sauce, two slices of hot Mexican salami, and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching the most recent episode of Doctor Who. 
            A space train is being penetrated by Cyber Masters, who are Cyber Men cloned by the Master on Gallifrey. The Doctor and her companions Yasmin and Dan manage to save the train but the Cyber Masters escape with their main objective, which appears to be a young child but is really the Qurunx. The Qurunx is tethered above the surface of a cloaked cyber conversion planet orbiting the Earth as another moon in 1916 where the Master is Rasputin. 
            In 2022 a renegade Dalek contacts the Doctor to offer information that will stop a Dalek invasion of Earth. 
            Meanwhile Ace and Tegan, two of the Doctor's companions from over thirty years ago, are investigating the disappearance of the world's leading seismologists and the removal from galleries of some of the world's most famous works of art. The paintings have been taken down because the faces, for instance that of the Mona Lisa, have been replaced with the visage of Rasputin-the Master. 
            The Master has united with the Cyber Men and the Daleks to cause all of the world's volcanoes to erupt at the same time. 
           The Doctor meets with the renegade Dalek to get the information but the Daleks arrive to kill the traitor and to capture the Doctor. The Doctor is delivered to the Master in 1916. In celebration for his victory he dances to the disco song Ra Ra Rasputin by Bony M. 


           He uses the energy of the Qurunx to do a forced regeneration, which causes the Doctor to regenerate as the Master. Now disembodied, the Doctor finds herself in a place on the edge of existence where she meets several of the earlier incarnations of the Doctor, such as the ones played by Sylvester McCoy and Colin Baker, but also an actor named David Bradley does a flawless impersonation of the original Doctor as played by William Hartnel. 
            Anticipating her death, the Doctor had programmed a hologram of herself and the other Doctors to help her friends defeat the Master, the Cybermen and the Daleks. The forced regeneration is reversed but the Master uses the Qurunx's energy to mortally wound the Doctor. As she begins regenerating she takes Yasmin home and goes off by herself. After the regeneration she finds herself back in the body of the Tenth Doctor as played by David Tennant. I know from reading about this that Tennant as the Doctor will be very temporary because he will soon regenerate into the first black Doctor, not counting the Fugitive Doctor as played by Jo Martin. 
            Ace was played by Sophie Aldred, who was the final companion of the last Doctor in the original Doctor Who series that ended with the 80s. After Doctor Who she appeared as Sophie Socket on children's educational programs. She was the host of Tiny and Crew, Words and Pictures and It's a Mystery. She played Minnie the Mini Magician on ZZZap! She has done a lot of voice work for animated series. 






 I searched for bedbugs and found one on the baseboard just to the right of the head of my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment