Wednesday 14 December 2022

Sally Janes


            On Tuesday morning I memorized verses four to six of "Les dessous chics" (Lingerie Chic) by Serge Gainsbourg. There's just one left so I should have it done tomorrow. 
            I weighed 85.2 kilos before breakfast. 
            I cleaned my bathroom sink, toilet, and floor; I swept my kitchen and then I mopped the bedroom, living room and kitchen in preparation for pest control coming tomorrow. 
            I had time to do about half an hour of work on my Medieval Literature essay before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride, and on Bloor, just before Ossington I saw my old friend Tom Smarda. He didn't see me until I called to him when he was walking by. He was going to Long and McQuade to see if he could get an effects pedal to put distortion back into his guitar. He had taken his Stratocaster to a guy who'd said he could re-establish the old Strat wiring but after he did that Tom didn't have the distorted sound anymore that he likes to have. I rode downtown and back. 
            I weighed 83.8 kilos at 17:25. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 17:58. 
            I spent three hours on my Medieval Literature essay, mostly searching through Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, A Vision Showed to a Devout Woman, and The Book of Margery Kempe for the specific passages I want to use to support my argument. I'm close to having all the material I need to expand the two pages I have into a six-page paper. 
            I grilled two steaks and had one with two small potatoes and gravy while watching season 3, episode 2 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            Mr. Drysdale has bought Jed Clampett a movie studio with Jed's money, but he wants to tear the studio down because the real estate is more valuable. Jed however wants to make movies and he wants to help out the studio head, Lawrence Chapman, and his producer nephews. Chapman realizes that Jed is all that stands between the studio and Drysdale's plan to destroy it and so he wants to make Jed happy at all costs. He gives Jed his office and his secretary, Miss Swenson. 
           Jed tells Chapman that he is partial to cowboy pictures and so Chapman tells him they are shooting one. But Chapman's nephew is shooting a horror picture called "The Monster that Ate Pasadena". Chapman tells him to change it to "The Monster That Ate Dodge City" and make the monster a cowboy. 
           When Chapman introduces Jed to Swenson he says, "She'll be your Girl Friday." Jed says, "Oh, well I'll see you then." He tells her to ask Hoot Gibson, William S Hart, and Dustin Farnum to have lunch with him, but they are all dead. 
           Meanwhile Jethro wants to be a producer and so he's wearing a loud, checkered jacket, a fedora, sunglasses and smoking a big cigar in imitation of Chapman's nephews. He asks Jane Hathaway, "Whaddayasay doll? You wanna be in pictures?" But she says "yes", and he doesn't know what to say after that. But every time Jethro dresses like that to head for the studio, he gets sick because of the cigar and goes back to bed. 
            Drysdale tells Jed of his plan to tear the studio down and build Clampett City, with streets named after members of his family. Jed doesn't want Chapman and his family to be out of work and so Drysdale compromises and says they will just build Clampett City from the back lot. 
            The Clampetts go looking for Clampett City and think they've found it when they stumble onto the mock up of Dodge City for the monster movie. They are pleased with the old appearance of the town until they find that none of the buildings have rooms. Then they are attacked by the actor who is playing the ridiculous wolfman type monster, because he thinks they are just extras. They decide to leave. 
            Miss Swenson was played by Sally Janes, who was using the professional name of Sally Jones. She was born in LA in 1932. She showed that she had singing talent while still in grade school. Her first movie was an appearance in Bells Are Ringing. She did the singing voice of Honeydew Melon in an episode of the animated series Top Cat. She appeared on a few episodes of Mary Hartman Mary Hartman. 




            
            I dug a bedbug out of a crack in the floor near the head of my bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment