Tuesday 27 December 2022

Zoe Kravitz


            On Monday morning I memorized the second verse of "Ohio" by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            When I went into the bedroom to get my guitar I caught a bedbug crawling towards the upper right hand corner of the old exit door. I need to cover that crack. 
            I weighed 85 kilos before breakfast, which is the heaviest I've been in two weeks, but yesterday was Christmas and I there was extra eating and drinking going on. 
            I called Topcuts but there was no answer. I found the company's main website and saw that all their salons would be closed on Boxing Day. 
            I copied my recent thread of emails to and from my landlord and the city bylaw inspector and put them into a document. I copied that document into a USB drive. I gathered up the recent notices from my landlord informing his tenants of the appointment with pest control and the form I signed giving Orkin permission to enter my apartment. I also dug up the notice for my upcoming rent increase. I took all of those documents to Parkdale Community Legal Services, but the sign on the door said they would be closed until January 3. That will give me time to finish creating the bedbug timeline from June 7, 2020 to the present. 
            I weighed 84.7 kilos before lunch. It's been two weeks since I've been that heavy. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 84 kilos at 17:15. I worked on updating my journal. 
            For dinner I had a small potato with gravy and three chicken drumsticks while watching The Batman, which is the most boring Batman movie I've ever seen. I was surprised because the critics loved it. I like the fact that this Batman was against using guns. The story was fine but it could have been told beautifully in ninety minutes rather than being stretched out into the echo chamber of a tedious three hours to include gratuitous car chases and overly long scenes of standing around and looking at clues. Does anybody remember the good old days when movies were ninety minutes long? Robert Pattinson seems to have only one expression on his face. The whole point of a secret identity is for one to be the opposite of the other, and not having both Batman and Bruce Wayne scowling through the whole movie. Bruce Wayne is supposed to put up a front to conceal that he is the Batman. Compared to Christian Bale, Michael Keaton and really all the other actors who balanced Bruce Wayne with Batman, Pattinson is the weakest. Of Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman, although she is sexy, she has no ability to steal a scene compared to pretty much all of the previous Catwomen. On top of that her costume was just plain drab. Batman villains are supposed to be over the top but the Penguin was just your average gangster. The Riddler was the best character of this film but he wasn't very interesting to look at. The Dark Knight Rises set the bar, while The Batman slithers in the dirt far beneath it. 
            The story begins with The Riddler brutally murdering the mayor of Gotham and leaving a riddle behind for Batman: "What does a liar do after he dies?" Batman figures that, "He lies still." The riddles are okay because, like I said, the writing was good but just stretched too far. The next night the Riddler kills the police commissioner, severs his thumb and attaches it to a thumb drive that contains images of the mayor with a missing woman at the Iceberg Club, which is owned by The Penguin, who works for Carmine Falcone the crime boss. The Batman goes there and sees Selena Kyle is a waitress at the club.
            Later Batman catches Selena as the Catwoman cracking Falcone's safe. She tells Batman Falcone is connected to her friend's disappearance. Batman puts camera contact lenses onto Selena's eyes and has her go undercover at the club to gather information. They learn that the commissioner was and the DA still is working for Falcone. 
            The Riddler kidnaps the DA and locks a bomb around his neck sending him to crash a car into the mayor's funeral. The Riddler tells the DA if he solves three riddles he'll spare his life. Batman helps solve them but the DA refuses to name the rat he's asked to name in the third riddle and so the bomb goes off. They learn that half the police force is on Falcone's payroll. 
            Catwoman tries to hijack some money being transferred for Falcone and discovers the corpse of her friend. She tells Batman that Falcone is her father and that he killed her mother. 
           The Riddler reveals that Bruce Wayne's father had a reporter killed who was trying to expose the history of mental illness of Bruce's mother Martha Wayne nee Arkham and her family. But Wayne's butler, Alfred tells Bruce that Thomas Wayne only asked Falcone to scare the reporter. After the murder, Wayne threatened to turn himself and Falcone in, and so Falcone had him and Martha murdered to keep things quiet. 
            Batman stops Catwoman from killing Falcone but then Falcone is killed by Riddler, who is placed in Arkham Asylum where he communicates with someone in the next cell who seems to be the Joker. But Riddler's plan continues because he has planted bombs along the sea wall and Gotham is flooded. Meanwhile Riddler's cult of online followers set themselves up on rooftops with sniper rifles to commit mass murder. Batman and Catwoman stop them. Batman has some sort of epiphany that he is not about vengeance but hope and he begins helping save the flood victims. 
            Catwoman was played by Zoe Kravitz, who is the daughter of Lennie Kravitz and Lisa Bonet. Her first film appearance was in No Reservations in 2007 when she was still in high school. In 2009 she started a band called Elevator Fight with her as the lead singer. She co-starred in Beware the Gonzo and Yelling to the Sky. She co-starred in the TV series Californication. She played Angel Salvadore in X-Men: First Class. She co-starred in Treading Water and After Earth. She started the band Lolawolf. She co-starred on Good Kill, Dope, Mad Max: Fury Road, Vincent N Roxxy, Gemini and Rough Night. She co-starred in the HBO series Big Little Lies. She co-starred in Kin, and Fantastic Beasts. She co-starred in the series High Fidelity and the movie Viena and the Fantomes. 



            I found a nymph bedbug on my left wrist while I was at the computer and I turned to see another crawling on my couch for the first time in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment