Friday 23 December 2022

Rocky Johnson


            On Thursday when I got up I saw that some recent South Park episodes that I'd started downloading last night all have the message: Error: the system cannot find the path specified. (Write to disk). This happened a couple of days ago and I was able to reset the destination folder for individual torrents, then after a restart they loaded. But this never happened before recently. Torrents have always automatically downloaded into Downloads. I wanted to fix this so it's automatic again and so I looked it up. It was suggested that the problem might be that my Downloads folder was set at Read Only. Sure enough it was. Then I found a way to set the default download destination at Downloads again. Lately it seems I have to restart my computer to get the downloads rolling again. 
            I worked out the chords for all but the final verse of "Babe alone in Babylon" by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            The odour from the bath bombs I bought yesterday for my daughter is overwhelming and during song practice I was having a reaction with itchy eyes and tension in my chest. Finally I put the stuff in a garbage bag, tied a knot and hung it out of the window in my kitchen. That cleared it up mostly but there were still lingering particles. 
            I weighed 83.8 kilos before breakfast. 
            I was going to go get a haircut today but when I called Top Cuts I found out my favourite stylist Amy wouldn't be in until Friday. I had intended to do laundry on Friday but now I switched my plans and did my wash today. If the snowstorm hits overnight I might not ride up to Yonge and St Clair tomorrow and so I'll have to get my do done after Christmas. It doesn't matter that much as long as it's cut before I start school in January. It's not as if I'm going to any parties or going on any dates so there's no one to look good for over the holidays. 
            I weighed 83.4 kilos before lunch at 13:35. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown. On Tuesday night I texted my daughter and asked if she needed anything for Christmas besides the usual candy. She got back to me last night that she wanted a loofah and socks, so while I was downtown I looked around. I found a natural loofah at Shoppers Drug Mart. I used the automated cashier but it scanned my item twice and so the real cashier had to fix it. Then I realized it wasn't the kind that takes cash and so I had to pay by debit. I went to the Great Canadian Sox Shop where they have a lot of annoying socks with pictures on them but in the back I found a pair of quality long red wool socks, so I bought those. 
            On the way home I stopped at Freshco where I bought four bags of red grapes, some bananas, strawberries, blueberries, a sirloin tip beef roast, a bag of plain kettle chips, a bag of barbecue kettle chips, skyr, a pack of frozen filo puffs filled with feta and spinach, vanilla bean Haagen Dazs, and a jug of lemonade. 
            I weighed 83.5 kilos at 18:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 20:09. 
            I worked a bit more on tagging and labelling the candy I bought for my daughter. But with the two gifts I bought today I think I'm going to need to buy the next size up for a shipping box. Hopefully I'll have time to buy it, pack it, and mail it on Friday. 
            I had a potato with gravy and two chicken drumsticks while watching Black Adam.
            It had Korean subtitles that I couldn't remove because some idiot burned them into the video. After a while I was able to zone them out. 
            The story starts out slow because all DC movies seem to have to spend a lot of time on the origin story. In the fictional Middle Eastern region of Khandaq 5000 years ago the people are enslaved by a king who forces them to mine for eternium. Eternium takes the form of powerful blue gems that the king plans to fit into a crown to make himself an unparalleled and undefeatable force. A father and his young son are two of the slaves and after a soldier kills a slave that has found some eternium the boy calls for an uprising. His father tells him to be quiet and alive, but the boy grabs the gem from the soldier and runs. 
           The boy is caught and sentenced for execution but just as the sword swings he disappears. He appears before the council of wizards that are behind the magic of the modern Captain Marvel. They say Shazam and transform him into a hero named Teth Adam. He defeats the king and is later entombed for reasons we are not told until later. 
            In 2022 Khandaq is ruled by an international crime organization known as Intergang. Adrianna is an archaeologist and a resistance fighter working with her brother and two other colleagues to find the Crown of Sabbac in hopes that its power will help to free Khandaq of Intergang. She finds the crown in a mountain cave but somehow Intergang soldiers have tracked her. Her friend Samir is killed and she will be too but she reads the inscription in the cave out loud and awakens Teth Adam, who defeats the soldiers, killing most of the ones that fight him. 
            When news of the awakening of Teth Adam comes to Amanda Waller she deems him too dangerous to be uncontained and so she sends the Justice Society, consisting of Hawkman, Doctor Fate, Atom Smasher, and Cyclone to capture him. Adrianna confronts the Justice Society, asking why they think they have the right to stop Khandaq's hero when they never once in all these years came to liberate Khandaq from Intergang. She wonders what kind of justice they fight for. 
           She is informed that Teth Adam is not what she thinks he is. He was imprisoned by the wizards for nearly destroying Khandaq. 
            Adrianna's colleague Ishmael reveals himself to be the leader of Intergang in Khandaq. He is also a direct descendant of the king for whom the crown was made. He kidnaps Adrienna's son Amon who has hidden the crown. Adrienna gives him the crown to save Amon but Ishmael betrays her and fires at Amon. Teth Adam catches the bullet but unleashes power that wounds Amon and kills Ishmael.
            Adam reveals that it wasn't he that was given the powers by Shazam but his son Hurut. When soldiers had attacked Hurut's father and wounded him, Hurut gave his powers to Adam to save him. Immediately after that Hurut was killed and that's what enraged Adam, causing him to destroy much of Khandaq. That is why he was imprisoned. 
           Adam agrees to surrender because he doesn't feel worthy. He says the word Shazam and reverts to an ordinary human. He is imprisoned in Waller's facility and submerged in water with his mouth covered do he can't say Shazam again. 
            But because Ishmael died while wearing the crown he descends into hell where he is given the powers of the six demons of Sabbac. He attacks Khandaq with an army of zombies and fights the Justice Society. They can't defeat him and so Doctor Fate sends a telepathic message to wake Adam. He escapes but loses consciousness and in a dream of the past he says Shazam. Sabbac kills Doctor Fate before Adam kills Sabbac. The Justice Society now leave Adam to protect Khandaq. 
            Waller warns Adam not to leave Khandaq. Then in the final scene Superman comes to Adam and says they should talk. 
            The film had its moments but Dwayne Johnson is a really stiff actor. All he can really do is deadpan and he's even worse than Jason Momoa. A lot of the action was the same kind of action repeated over and over. Both Atom Smasher and Cyclone had pretty useless powers and their flirting with each other seemed unrealistic. I give it a B minus. 
            Dwayne Johnson is the son of Canadian wrestler Rocky Johnson. Rocky was born in Nova Scotia. He trained to be a boxer and sparred with Mohammed Ali and George Foreman. He started professional wrestling in Southern Ontario and changed is name to Rocky after Rocky Marciano. He and his tag team partner Tony Atlas became the first black champion wrestlers in WWE history. He trained his son Dwayne, who became one of the greatest professional wrestlers of all time. 
            I searched for bedbugs and found none.

No comments:

Post a Comment