Saturday 25 February 2023

Barry Kelley


            On Friday morning I searched for the chords of "Fugue" by Boris Vian. None showed up in a "chord" search" but I found a set on Boite a Chanson when I typed "accords". I transcribed about half of them and I'll finish that tomorrow. There are also slightly different lyrics than the others I've found and so I'll make note of those as well to see if they fit.
            I memorized the fifth verse of "Love On the Beat" by Serge Gainsbourg. There are two verses left to learn. 
            I weighed 84.2 kilos before breakfast. 
            I got my place ready for bedbug inspection. I didn't bother to flip my futon frame on its end this time because there are never any bedbugs there. I just cleared the bed and the area around it. I swept and mopped the floors. The technician was scheduled to be here between 13:00 and 17:00 but I was hoping for the earliest end of that. 
            I weighed 84.1 kilos before lunch. 
            Steve from Orkin came a little before 14:00, just after I'd finished lunch. I heard Caesar telling him he couldn't come in and that he was "controlling" it himself. If there is something to control it means he has bedbugs. Steve told me he found two live bedbugs in unit 2 and that the guy's place is very dirty. he didn't find any nests in my place and no bugs. He says it's a positive thing that I haven't found any juicy bedbugs full of blood and that means the spores are working. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride. It wasn't slippery but I had to ride through a lot of snow and I was constantly worried about slipping, so I only went as far as Bloor and Ossington. Going down Ossington is where I wiped out last month but it seems they salted the snow more this time and I made it through. 
            I weighed 83.8 kilos at 17:00, which is the lightest I've been at that time in a month and a half.
            There was an email from Professor Jaffe that our papers were marked and so I went online to see. I was worried because she seems very strict about formats but I ended up with an A. Here's what she said: 

            Christian, This is a fascinating, compelling analysis; you reading is acute and your insights are very persuasive. I don’t agree that the first mirror image is Jane as others see her and therefore “not” her; at least according to Lacan, the self comes into being as a split self, and “recognition”—what she sees as herself--is always misrecognition. Plus there is more “splitting” later on—the figure of Bertha, which Jane definitely does not see as part of her “self,” but arguably is: the part she refuses to or cannot recognize. However! This is really good. I miss the use of textual support in the first half, and some claims could use more detail and analysis. I really miss the Lacan dream, which you rely on but fail to provide. And I really want your next paper to get the citations right. 

            I'm confused by the in-text citation of page numbers. She says this is wrong: (Brontë 11-12, 59), but when I look it up it seems correct to me. She says she will be taking marks off next time for citation errors and so I need to find out what I did wrong. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 19:00. 
            I spent a few minutes in the hall chatting with Benji and Shankar about bedbugs, mice and rats, among other things. Benji says that in Guyana poisonous snakes will go into a home and ignore children to hunt rats. 
            I had a potato with gravy and lima beans while watching season 5, episode 10 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            Although Jed owns $65 million and his wealth is increasing all the time, he doesn't feel like he's earning it. So he has decided to get a job as a garbage man. For some reason Jed's banker Mr. Drysdale is embarrassed that his largest depositor has become a labourer. Drysdale discusses it with the oil man Mr. Brewster who suggests that Drysdale give Jed a job on the bank's board of directors. Jane says that the last time Jed worked there he had the bank buy $3000 worth of Girl Scout cookies. Brewster says there is nothing for Jed to do on the board of directors for OK Oil, but Drysdale tells Jed that Brewster needs him, so he joins. 
            Jed still has to be voted in by the board and the toughest board member to convince is E.W. Brachner. But after he learns that Jed has $65 million he votes him in. Jed thinks the company is in trouble because it can't find any new oil wells. Jed remembers striking oil in the back yard of his mansion and then plugging it up. He decides to unplug the well. But then the board discovers that there is a leak in their oil pipeline under Beverly Hills around where Jed lives. The Clampetts bring the board several large containers full of crude and Brewster realizes what happened. He has workmen go to Jed's place and plug up the hole again. 
            Then Jed decides to make some money for OK Oil by turning the company jet into a passenger plane, charging $10 a flight anywhere in the world. But Jethro is the pilot and the co-pilot can barely control the plane out of Jethro's manoeuvres. 
            Brachner was played by Barry Kelley, who trained at Chicago's Goodman Theatre. In the 1930s he began acting on Broadway. He was brought to Hollywood by Elia Kazan in 1947 and his first film was Boomerang that same year. He played Mr. Slocum on six episodes of Pete and Gladys. He played Jim Rafferty on five episodes of The Tom Ewell Show. 
            For the third night in a row I found no bedbugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment