Tuesday 21 February 2023

Frankenstein's Monster's Education


            On Monday morning I had the first 24 lines of "Fugue" by Boris Vian memorized. I have extra lines in the text of the rest of the song while the recording I have finishes shortly after line 24. I'll check out the Pauline Julien recording to hear if it's different. 
            I memorized the second verse of "Love On the Beat" by Serge Gainsbourg. It's a long song because of the repeated chorus. I guess it was meant to be played in discotheques. 
            I weighed 85 kilos before breakfast. 
            David knocked on my door and thanked me again for looking after his place and for the aloe vera plant. He insisted on giving me another $100. He asked me for a beer and so I gave him a can of Creemore. 
            The landlord came and looked at my kitchen faucet. I showed him that the one in the bathroom is loose and so he says he'll replace them both tomorrow night. He gave me a notice that pest control is coming on Friday afternoon for the follow up inspection from the treatment last month. 
            I read up to page 102 of Frankenstein. Victor's youngest brother has been murdered and evidence was planted on the family servant Justine. Victor believes the creature he created and rejected did the crimes. While climbing in the Alps he is met by his creation. 
            I weighed 85 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Bloor and Bathurst and on the way home I turned on Gladstone to go to Freshco but then saw the empty parking lot and remembered that today was a holiday. Instead I stopped just before my place at Queen Fresh Market where I bought a large pack of strawberries and two packs of blueberries. 
            I weighed 84.3 kilos at 17:00. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:18. 
            I read up to page 122 in Frankenstein at the point that the creature is describing his self education by observation. I did some research online to find any parallels between that and the education of Georgian era girls. 
            I had a potato with gravy and three chicken drumsticks while watching season 5, episode 6 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            Jethro has the idea that the family needs a gorilla. He wants to teach one to do his chores while Elly May wants one to wrestle with. Jed calls Drysdale who says he'll do anything for him without knowing what will be asked. Since he can't get a real gorilla, Drysdale hires gorilla imitator Tom Kelly. The idea is that Tom will behave so ferociously that it will scare the Clampetts away from wanting a gorilla. But it just makes them want to tame it more. Granny takes a switch to the gorilla and makes it do chores. When Drysdale gets Tom alone he takes off the costume and says he quits. Drysdale says he'll have a suit on his hands. Tom gives Drysdale the suit and leaves. Drysdale puts on the costume but when told to do chores he escapes in Jane's car. The Clampetts go to the zoo to get another gorilla. 
            For the fourth night in a row I found no bedbugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment