Tuesday 7 February 2023

Edith Leslie


            On Monday morning I finished working out the chords for "Beau oui comme Bowie" (Fine Yes Like Bowie) by Serge Gainsbourg. I ran through the song in French and English and then uploaded it to my Christian's Translations blog. I finished editing it and all I have to do before publication tomorrow is post the accompanying video. 
            I weighed 84.9 kilos before breakfast, which is the heaviest I've been in the morning in a week. 
            I spent about an hour on my essay researching parallels between Jane Eyre's finding her doubled reflection in the Rivers sisters after stumbling through a swamp and Lacan's description of the dream imagery of the search for the id. 
            I weighed 84.9 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Bloor and Ossington. 
            I weighed 84.3 kilos at 17:00. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:02. 
            I spent about two hours on my essay looking at the ways that the Rivers sisters are Jane's reflection and how her future husband Rochester is not: 

            The Rivers sisters, like Jane's other reflections carry an atmosphere of death, as they are in mourning over their deceased father. They and Jane are in agreement about everything and like what Jane likes "in a perfect congeniality of tastes, sentiments, and principles". They correspond in what they like to read, their enjoyments, their love of their house, and of the nature that surrounds their home (Brontë 402). "Thought fitted thought; opinion met opinion; we coincided … perfectly." Jane grows toward becoming a more complete reflection of them by reading the books they have read and teaching them to draw (Brontë 403). 
            Rochester is not Jane's reflection. She finds in Rochester more than a mirror image. According to Lacan, "Love is addressed to the one you think knows your true truth (Tarpey 1)." "loving is to give what one does not have … the key to love, to being able to love, is to accept one’s lack: One cannot love except by becoming a non-haver, even if one has.” In order for Rochester to love Jane he must be the absence of her reflection (Hewitson 'What … love' 2). He must reflect what Jane is missing (Hewitson 3). 

            I roasted a sirloin tip and put coffee in the bottom of the pan so I can make red eye gravy when my chicken gravy is finished in a few days. I had a potato with chicken gravy and a couple of slices of roast beef while watching season 4, episode 24 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            Granny has started spring cleaning long before spring and wants everything removed from the thirty room mansion to air out in the sun. Jed wants to put a stop to Granny trying to clean the big house like she did the little cabin back in Tennessee. He wants everybody to subtly hint that she's getting old but Jethro just bluntly tells her she's over the hill, causing her to become fixated on her age. Jed says he wants to get a small house in the country but Granny thinks he wants to put her in the old folks home.
            Drysdale tries to help by hiring them a housekeeper named Mrs. Mack who is so big and tough she basically threatens Drysdale to hire her. When Granny sees Mack she thinks she's being replaced and runs away. She goes to Drysdale with a wheelbarrow and asks him to put the $13 million that is her share of Jed's money into it. Instead Drysdale hires Granny to be his secretary but she thinks the buttons on the phone are the keys of a typewriter. Drysdale promotes her to being head of the building and she proceeds to make everybody do spring cleaning and take all the furniture out on the street. 
            Mrs. Mack was played by Edith Leslie, who had supporting roles in several movies and TV shows. She was often cast as a big nurse. 


            I searched for bedbugs and found none.

No comments:

Post a Comment