Saturday 11 February 2023

Edy Williams


            On Friday I had the first nine lines of "Fugue" by Boris Vian memorized. 
            I worked out the chords for most of "Le bonheur c'est malheureux" (Happiness is Very Sad) by Serge Gainsbourg. I just have to figure out the finish. I'll probably have that done tomorrow and also upload the song to my Christian's Translations blog. 
            I weighed 84.5 kilos before breakfast. 
            I worked for a couple of hours on my essay and revised the second part: 

            Jane finds no proper reflection of herself in the others in the Reed household and so even her reflection in the mirror becomes other than herself. Jacques Lacan would say that the development of Jane's ego requires that she find herself reflected in the images of others (Hewitson). This is why Jane's subsequent self-defining mirror moments occur outside of the literal looking glass at times when other people mirror Jane's image of herself (Johnston 2.2). The first of these mirrors in others manifests itself when she sees Helen Burns. Jane first recognizes her own reflection in this lone girl "bent over a book", just as the reader sees Jane at the beginning of the novel. Although the only description that Jane gave of her reading posture in that opening chapter is that she is sitting cross legged, it is likely that she would have also been bent over her book. She is a ten year old and relatively inactive girl reading a hard cover volume that would have probably been too heavy to read by lifting her arms to keep her back straight (Brontë 11-12, 59). In Helen, Jane sees a more mature and ideal version of herself. Jane further identifies with Helen when she sees her being punished unjustly as Jane was in her first mirror scene. The manner of Helen's discipline is humiliating and Jane projects herself into her experience, declaring that she would not be able to bear it (Brontë 61-62, 66). But Helen confidently tells Jane that she would of necessity withstand the punishment. So later when Jane faces a similar trial (Brontë 78-80), she "gives in to mimic" Helen's vision of her and bears the punishment (Hewitson). Jane and Helen share an emotional bond because of the likeness they share. They are both orphans, both abandoned, both punished, and both readers. By recognizing herself in Helen, Jane develops an awareness of her individuality (Hobbs). 
            Jane's reflection in Helen and her reflection in the mirror in the red room have in common an aura of death. Jane comes into the fullest union with her reflection in Helen when Helen dies (Brontë 98). She absorbs Helen's reflection of her, thereby further developing her sense of self, and her subsequent life at the school would have been more fulfilling because of this. 

            I weighed 84.7 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Bloor and Ossington. 
            I weighed 84.4 kilos at 16:45. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:16. 
            I worked for over an hour on my essay and spent a lot of time figuring out how provide evidence for a claim I was making. I started something and then decided to do something else, but when I clicked on the "undo" icon I ended up in another part of the document. When I tried to "redo" it didn't return me to where I'd been before. I got confused and undid and redid several times thinking one way would take me back. Finally I just closed the document in hopes that I'd saved at least some of what I'd started at 18:20, but none of it had been saved. Fortunately I remembered what I had done and started retyping it. I got back what I'd lost in text but lost a lot of time. 
            I had a potato with the last of my chicken gravy and the last of my roast beef. I was glad to be done with the gravy because I'd gotten little bits of charred food in it after pouring in the butter that I'd used to cook some salmon. I should have strained out the char first. I had dinner while watching season 4, episode 28 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            Jethro gets a job cleaning out Mr. Drysdale's garage and is told he can keep anything he finds. He finds an old stack of Swinger Magazines which become his instruction manual for becoming an international playboy. First he tries to turn the parlour into his playboy pad. He has a checkered dressing gown that he got from the garage as well and he thinks it's part of Drysdale's old military uniform since it was in a box marked "Salvation Army". Jethro reads in the magazines that most international playboys have stereos and so he sets up two turntables to play at the same time. 
            Since having a playboy pad in the family parlour doesn't sit well with Granny, he gets a one-room trailer from the city dump and tries to fix it up. He goes to the Kitty Kat Klub and gets a Kitty Kat to go inside but when he won't let her leave until she plants one on his face, she punches him and his head ends up sticking through the roof. Drysdale tells Jane to hire a couple of Kitty Kats to be nice to Jethro. He's parked his trailer in front of the bank and a Kitty Kat comes up, then Jane shows up in a Kitty Kat costume as well. He's plugged his sound system into the bank but when he turns it, on the music is as loud as an explosion. People come running out of the bank, so Jane, not wanting to be caught by Drysdale in a Kitty Kat costume, heads back to the Klub. Drysdale advises Jethro to take his trailer to the beach where there are lots of girls. As Jethro leaves, a woman standing next to Drysdale asks, "Isn't that the guy whose uncle has $50 million?" He says, "What's it to you? Don't you work here?" She takes off her glasses and says, "I used to." She finds Jethro on a deserted beach and starts flirting with him. They go into the trailer and he tries to impress her by doing his Grade 6 multiplication tables. Then the tide comes in and the trailer is floating. Jethro says, "Hot dog! I got me a yacht!" The woman jumps in the water to swim to shore while Jethro says he's on his way to Catalina. 
            The woman at the beach was played by Edy Williams, who in her teens started trying to get local Salt Lake City photographers to hire her as a model. She won several beauty contests, which finally got her signed to 20th Century Fox. She appeared in several 60s films and TV series. She was married to Russ Meyer for five years and appeared in his films "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" and "The Seven Minutes". He photographed her for a spread in Playboy. After their divorce she began promoting herself and would show up at red carpet events such as the Academy Awards and Cannes Film Festival to be photographed in outrageously revealing costumes and got herself at the top of several worst dressed lists. She co-starred in Lady Lust, and Bad Girls From Mars. 




            


           


           This marks five nights in a row without seeing bedbugs.



No comments:

Post a Comment