Sunday 19 February 2023

Gayle Hunnicutt


            On Saturday morning I memorized the first twenty lines of "Fugue" by Boris Vian. 
            I ran through singing and playing "I Love You Stupid", my translation of "Je t'aime idiot" by Serge Gainsbourg. I Published it on my Christian's Translations blog. That marks the end of 1983 in my Serge Gainsbourg translation project. I moved on to his 1984 album "Love on the Beat" and listened twice to the title song. I'll start memorizing it tomorrow. There are only twelve songs to learn in the 1984 file. He was starting to slow down around this time. 
            I weighed 84.7 kilos before breakfast. 
            I went upstairs to check on David's place and saw that one of his suitcases was there, so he must have come back from Ethiopia. I didn't water his plant, since he's back, I just locked the door and won't go up there anymore. 
            I went to No Frills where I bought about four bags of grapes, dentil floss, mouthwash, salsa, two bags of kettle chips, a container of plain coconut milk simulated yogourt and another of vanilla. 
            I went to the liquor store and got a six-pack of Creemore. 
            I read a few more pages of the introduction to Frankenstein. 
            I weighed 84.8 kilos before lunch. I had saltines with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of limeade. 
            I took a bike ride in the afternoon to Bloor and Bathurst. 
            When I started running the water to get my usual afternoon drink I noticed the water building up at the base of the faucet. I cleared the stuff from under my sink and saw that there was a slow leak. It runs faster when the water is running. I called the landlord but my call went to voicemail. I called his handyman Yogi but he's in Niagara Falls. He told me to turn the water off until tomorrow. It still leaked for a while with the water off but stopped. I sent an email to Raja and his wife wrote back that he'll come tomorrow. I hate having him in my place. I'll have to use the bathroom tap for water until then.
            David came by and I gave him back his key. He was wearing a mask because he says he has a sore throat and he's tired from a seventeen hour flight. He seemed to appreciate the plant I gave him. 
            I weighed 84.2 kilos at 17:00. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:36. 
            I finished reading the editor's introduction and Mary Shelley's introduction to Frankenstein. 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce, a cut up beef burger, and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 5, episode 4 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            In this story a simply dressed girl with a back home accent shows up at the Clampett home and introduces herself as Emaline Fetty from back over Possum Ridge. Jed remembers Jake Fetty and Emaline confirms she's one of his daughters. They invite her to stay but she says she just came to say hello and that she's going to stay at the Y.W.C.A. Granny says she wouldn't stay in no place that has to be spelled. They finally convince her to stay in the guest room. 
            When Elly settles her in she asks what that thing next to the bed is and Elly tells her it's a telephone. When Elly leaves the room Emaline picks up the phone and dials a number. Suddenly she doesn't have an accent anymore as she speaks to someone she calls "Colonel". She tells him it's Rita calling and his plan is working especially because of his research on the Fetty family. 
            Elly wants to take Emaline swimming but she says she's afraid to put on the bathing suit Elly has given her. She insists on Jed coming up and telling her it's fitting. Rita has a cuckoo clock that is really a camera set up so that when Jed comes in she makes it look like he is forcing his way in. She goes into his arms like she's been grabbed and kisses him as if he has kissed her. Meanwhile the cuckoo clock keeps going off and taking pictures. 
            Next the Colonel Gaylord Merriweather Foxhall shows up at Mr. Drysdale's bank with the pictures and since Jed has briefly been an executive at the bank, the Colonel shows Drysdale a mock headline that reads "Commerce Bank Officer in Love Nest Scandal". 
            Drysdale goes with the Colonel to show Jed the pictures. Jed and Granny think they are nice and asks how much the colonel wants for them. He says $1 million. Jed finds that to be a steep price for photographs. Drysdale says, "If you don't meet his price these pictures will appear on the front page of tomorrow's newspaper." Jed says, "Well there's an idea Granny! Let's wait until tomorrow and cut them out of the paper!" 
            Jed says he'll do the right thing and since he saw Emaline in her underclothes the code of the hills rule that he has to marry her. They'll get married in Bugtussel and live in the old cabin with the rest of the Fetty family. Rita says, "You gotta be outta your skull! I'm blowin this caper" and she leaves.
            Emaline/Rita was played by Gayle Hunnicutt, who started out as a fashion model. She co-starred in "Marlowe". In 1968 she married British actor David Hemmings and in 1970 they moved to England. She co-starred in the British horror films "Fragment of Fear", "Voices", "The Legend of Hell House". She wrote the books "Beauty in Motherhood" and "Dearest Virginia". She played Alexandra in the BBC miniseries "The Fall of Angels". She played Vanessa Beaumont on Dallas from 1989 to 1991.





            


           

           For the second night in a row I found no bedbugs.



No comments:

Post a Comment